Jeweled Saffron Rice
Persian style saffron rice with herbs, pistachios, and pomegranates.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Soaking Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 cups white basmati rice
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock sub vegetable stock for vegan
- 1/4-1/2 tsp saffron threads roughly 2 pinches
- 1 tbsp ghee or EVOO for vegan
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse until the water runs clear. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, heat the stock on medium-low heat until warm. Add 2 pinches of saffron to the pan and allow to soak for 10 minutes.
In a large pan with a well fitting lid, melt ghee over medium heat. Add onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add rice stirring constantly until rice is slightly toasted, about 3 minutes.
Add stock with saffron and salt to rice mixture. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook rice for 15 minutes then shut off heat and allow the rice to sit for 5 minutes undisturbed.
Taste the rice for salt, adjust as needed. Stir in parsley, pistachios, and pomegranate arils.