Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken with Fennel
A one pot meal with complex flavors and festive colors that elevates any weeknight dinner.
Prep Time8 mins
Cook Time22 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 small chicken breasts, bones and skin removed (1 pound)
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme (4 whole, 4 leaves removed)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 med fennel bulbs cut into wedges, fronds reserved
- 1 med onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup chicken stock or bone broth
- 1/3 cup pomegranate arils
Preheat over to 425F.
Pound chicken into even thickness between two sheets of parchment (if necessary).
Place two slices of prosciutto overlapping on cutting board, add one chicken breast, seasoning with thyme leaves and pepper, wrap prosciutto around chicken, it does not have to fully cover. Repeat with remaining pieces.
Heat 1 tbsp bacon fat in large oven proof pan over medium- high heat.
Place chicken in pan seam side down, brown 2-3 minutes, flip and brown 2-3 minutes. Remove to plate.
Reduce heat to medium and add fennel, cook until it begins to soften about 5 minutes. Add onions, cook 2 minutes. If the pan gets to dry you can add additional bacon fat.
Deglaze the pan with the white wine, once evaporated add stock, thyme and chicken back to the pan.
Place in oven uncovered for 15 minutes or until chicken reaches 165F.
Sprinkle chopped reserved fennel fronds and pomegranate arils over the dish and serve.
- You may notice the lack of additional salt, between the prosciutto and our homemade salted chicken stock I don't find it necessary, but salt to taste at the end of needed.
- AIP Compliant: Omit black pepper, replace white wine with additional stock and sub chopped cranberries for pomegranate arils.