Sweet potato casserole with marshmallow meringue topping, also known as sweet potato fluff, is a delicious twist on a Thanksgiving staple. This creamy and sweet casserole is easy to make and sure to be a family favorite.
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I think sweet potatoes are necessary for any holiday meal. And I have all the options for you from healthy sweet potato crunch with a pecan topping to my gluten-free sweet potato casserole which is the perfect mix of marshmallows and crunchy pecans.
But this recipe was born from my gluten-free sweet potato pie. It has an optional marshmallow meringue topping which I wanted to try in place of mini marshmallows.
📖Why This Recipe Works
I wanted the topping to be easy, Thanksgiving Day is hectic enough without making marshmallow fluff from scratch. With this recipe, there is no need to boil corn syrup to the candy stage and go through all that jazz.
This recipe calls for store-bought fluff plus whipped egg whites for quick and easy meringue. The fluffy marshmallows are toasted to perfection, just a like s'more!
The creamy sweet potatoes are all about classic flavors with warm Fall spices.
This recipe is gluten-free and can easily be made dairy-free. deserved Serve as a dessert or a side dish to your roast turkey.
Sweet Potatoes - You'll need 3 to 4 large fresh sweet potatoes for this recipe. There is no need to peel the sweet potatoes before roasting them. Baking the sweet potatoes whole with the skin on makes the skin easy to remove after cooking.
Eggs - Eggs bind everything together and create a light, fluffy mashed potato texture.
Unsalted Butter- If your butter has salt reduce the amount of salt in the recipe in half. Use dairy-free or vegan butter if needed.
Brown Sugar - Brown sugar gives the sweet potato filling a richer flavor.
Spices - We're adding delicious layers of sweet spice with a blend of nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt along with a little hint of vanilla.
Bourbon - An optional (but delicious) addition. Bourbon gives the casserole an extra layer of sweet vanilla and caramel flavors.
Marshmallow Meringue Topping
If you want to make the meringue topping you will need 3 more eggs (whites only), a jar of marshmallow fluff or marshmallow cream, and white sugar. The cream of tartar is optional but very helpful.
⏲️How to Make Sweet Potato Fluff
While the sweet potatoes are cooling slightly make the marshmallow fluff. Both items will come together just in time for assembly.
Roast the Sweet Potatoes
Pierce the sweet potatoes all over with a fork, then place them onto a baking sheet. Bake at 375ºF for 40 minutes or until they are fork tender.
Once the potatoes are done roasting, let them cool slightly, then slice down the middle and remove the skin.
Mix the Mashed Sweet Potato Filling
In a large mixing bowl use a potato masher to break up the sweet potatoes.
Add the remaining filling ingredients to the mashed sweet potatoes and stir to combine. Spoon the warm filling into a baking dish.
Make the Marshmallow Fluff
The topping is made by beating egg whites with the sugar until you have stiff peaks and a glossy look.
Then slowly, and gently, mix it with the marshmallow fluff. Do this a little at a time to break up the fluff.
Assemble and Bake
Spoon onto the sweet potato base. Swirl the meringue to form gentle peaks.
Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until it is set. You can use a kitchen torch for a more toasted look.
🥗What to Serve with Marshmallow Sweet Potatoes
This sweet potato fluff recipe deserves a place on your Thanksgiving table along with other traditional side dishes with their own twists.
👩🏻🍳 Expert Tips
- Use pasteurized eggs because the topping just gets toasted and not baked all the way through.
- You can make this recipe with an electric mixer or food processor for a smooth sweet potato souffle. Or mash by hand for more texture.
- Add a little bit of egg whites to the fluff to loosen it up. Then add the remaining whites.
Sweet potato fluff casserole will keep well in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Allow the casserole to cool completely before covering tightly with plastic wrap or transferring it to an airtight container.
I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
More Thanksgiving Recipes
💭 Frequently Asked Questions
I don't recommend canned sweet potatoes for sweet potato casserole because of the high water level.
To use you need to heat in a pan on a simmer and reduce the puree by ⅓. You need 3 to 4 cups of puree.
You can prepare the filling ahead of time. Reheat the sweet potatoes before adding the freshly whipped marshmallow topping.
Did You Enjoy Making This Recipe? Please rate this recipe with ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ or leave a comment. It helps other wonderful people connect with our food.
Sweet Potato Fluff
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Pierce the sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes or until tender. Allow the sweet potatoes to cool slightly then slice down the middle and remove skin.3 pounds sweet potatoes
- Place the sweet potato flesh in a large bowl. Add the eggs, melted butter, brown sugar, vanilla, bourbon (if using), salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon to the sweet potatoes then beat with a hand mixer until well combined.¾ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup unsalted butter, 2 large eggs, 2 Tablespoons Bourbon, 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees. Spread the sweet potato mixture into a baking dish and smooth out. Top with the marshmallow fluff, swirling the meringue to create peaks.
- Bake the pie for 5-7 minutes until the meringue is set and starts to turn golden brown.
- Add the egg whites, cream of tartar, and a pinch of salt to a large glass bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat the egg whites, until foamy. Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat until stiff and glossy peaks form.3 egg whites, ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar, ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Scoop the marshmallow creme into a large bowl. Add ½ the beaten egg whites to the marshmallow creme and stir with a rubber spatula to lighten the marshmallow creme. It will be extremely sticky. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites.7 ounces marshmallow creme