Greetings, welcome to Peel with Zeal! My name is Jen, and I am the recipe developer, writer, and photographer around here. My husband, Mr. Peel, and I bonded over our love for food, travel, and cooking. We love to cook at home, dine out, and try strange things like tree ants (PSA: crunchy goodness).
We like it all, from taco trucks to fine dining. But things are changing around our kitchen and our collection of gluten-free recipes is just one of those things.
A Few Things About Me:
- A Columbus, Ohio native (Go Bucks!), but I love to travel and stir up new adventures.
- I was diagnosed with Celiac disease over 10 years ago. Which means I need to eat a gluten-free diet.
- In 2020 I hiked the Appalachian Trail Southbound from Maine to Georgia. Yep, all 2193 miles. You can see my trail adventures on my YouTube channel. Or check out my camping website Cooking Up Adventure.
- We regularly foster dogs and I am known for my homemade dog treats.
- I love fashion and high heels. But typically, you will find me in yoga pants and a fuzzy sweater.
- Over 10 years ago I was diagnosed with Celiac disease and must eat a gluten-free diet as a result.
My Food Philosophy:
I believe that cooking is a family activity, not someone’s “job”. Try new things and forgive yourself when you burn the sweet potatoes. Be brave and be bold, but realize some things are an acquired taste.
Prior to being diagnosed with Celiac, I was exhausted, my stomach always hurt, and I was experiencing mood swings that had me half-Cruella Deville and half-Wicked Witch of the West. After I was diagnosed we embraced the gluten-free lifestyle and within weeks, I felt like a different person.
In addition to being gluten-free, we typically eat dairy-free and refined sugar-free at home. You will find my recipes are focused on seasonal eating with these dietary restrictions apply to the majority of the recipes I post.
I am building our recipe index by focusing on basics first, like how to perfectly roast zucchini, and have been adding more complex recipes over time. Dairy-free chicken pot pie, anyone?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Celiac Disease?
Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder where the ingestion of gluten leads to damage in the small intestine. It is estimated to affect 1 in 100 people and it’s genetic. An estimated 6-10% of the population is gluten intolerant.
Can I use your recipes or photos on my own site?
At this time Peel with Zeal does not allow republication of a post or recipe text without prior consent. Photos without the recipe can be shared provided the user credits the photo with two links, one back to the original post and one back to peelwithzeal.com. Please read our site policies page for more information.
How can I contact you?
If you enjoyed a recipe please leave a review. Didn’t turn out quite right? Let us know so we figure out how to improve the recipe for future readers. And if you ever have specific recipe requests, don’t hesitate to let me know because I love to try new recipes.
Thank you so much for being here in my little corner of gluten-free goodness!