Moist and delicious gluten free zucchini muffins that are great for a quick breakfast, snack, or treat. You don't even need a stand mixer for this easy muffin recipe - just a whisk and a bowl! We also love these zucchini muffins because they are dairy free. Making them perfect for the whole family.
And here to break down her delicious recipe is Carolyn from Caramel & Cashews. Like me, Carolyn has celiac so her site is filled with gluten-free goodness. And we can never have too many gluten free recipes, am I right?
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Without further ado here is Carolyn!
Before I was diagnosed with celiac disease I loved zucchini bread so it only made sense to get in the kitchen and whip up a batch of gluten free zucchini muffins. It's not often you get to incorporate a vegetable into a baked treat with AMAZING results.
🧾Gluten Free Ingredients
- Gluten Free All Purpose Flour - I use Bob's Red Mill 1:1 All Purpose Gluten Free Flour in almost all of my baked goods calling for all purpose flour. The taste and texture are on point with no strange aftertaste or chalky mouthfeel - yuck. I have tried A LOT of gluten free flours and many of them are complete duds. Do not substitute a single ingredient flour like coconut flour for the all purpose flour in this recipe. Coconut flour recipes are delicious but you must find one specifically created for coconut flour or almond flour etc.
- Baking Powder - To make those babies rise!
- Baking Soda - Rise baby rise!
- Kosher Salt - I always use kosher salt in cooking and baking. It has a pure salty taste without feeling like you just drank saltwater. If you only have table salt simply add ¼ teaspoon instead of a half teaspoon. The granules are much smaller and will add more saltiness than kosher salt.
- Brown Sugar
- Vegetable Oil - You can add another neutral oil if you prefer. Oil gives the muffins their moist crumb whereas butter while delicious can dry out a muffin if not used properly. If you are looking to make these healthy zucchini muffins you can certainly use avocado oil in place of vegetable oil.
- Mashed Banana - Also adds natural sweetness and moisture to the muffins!
- Eggs - To bind and add structure
- Grated Zucchini - Of course! I used about one and a half small-sized zucchinis for this recipe. As long as you have a cup of grated zucchini you are good.
Simplicity is such a win in the kitchen, especially with delicious results.
For great vibes in the kitchen, I always do my prep work first. Grate the zucchini and squeeze out excess moisture. No need to pop any veins here. Just a nice squeeze is fine.
Grab a bowl, a whisk, a liquid measuring cup, dry measuring cups, and you're all set to begin.
In a large bowl add both sugars, vegetable oil and mashed banana then whisk until combined. Add both eggs and whisk until emulsified then add the grated zucchini. Stir well.
Add all of the dry ingredients to the bowl and whisk again until the batter is smooth and well combined.
Scoop batter into a greased muffin tin and bake at 350 degrees for 21 minutes.
📋Tips and Tricks
- I just grate the zucchini on a handheld grater (like for cheese). It's easy to clean and since zucchini is full of water it doesn't take as much effort as carrots. I don't bother deseeding the zucchini. I simply cut off both ends and cut it in half crosswise then grate.
- If you have a food processor with a grating attachment or a mandolin that's fine too! Just be extra careful when you grate any vegetable on a mandolin or cheese grater. I have cut my finger on a mandolin before and it's right up there with wasps and paper cuts.
- If you loathe dishes like me, pour the oil into your mixing bowl with the sugars and then mash the banana in the liquid measuring cup. No need to dirty up another dish am I right??
- If you are making this for a friend or you're just new to the gluten free life make sure your nonstick cooking spray doesn't contain flour. Some do!
🧁Storing Leftover Muffins
Banana zucchini muffins also freeze super well. I like to freeze all my goodies on a sheet pan first then throw them frozen into a gallon size freezer bag. This way they don't get smooshed. You can defrost in the microwave or leave at room temperature for a couple hours.
💭 Zucchini Muffin Variations
These banana zucchini muffins taste amazing by themselves but are incredible with additional mix-ins too such as:
- Dried Cranberries
- Chocolate Chips (Gluten free chocolate zucchini bread is bomb!)
- Dried Coconut
- Fresh blueberries (Frozen blueberries release a lot of water and weigh down the muffins.)
These muffins can also just as simply be made into gluten free zucchini bread. Simply scrape the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake until the top is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
Well I have some zucchini muffins and a coffee with my name on it! Happy Baking!
🍰More Gluten Free Baking Recipes
Here are a few more of our favorite gluten free baking recipes to keep you busy in the kitchen.
Please leave us a comment and let us know how this recipe worked for you. Don't forget to share your creation on Instagram. Tagging us @peelwithzeal or #peelwithzeal
Gluten Free Zucchini Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grate the zucchini and squeeze once to release some excess moisture. Mash the banana with a fork and measure. Grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together vegetable oil, mashed banana and both sugars.
- Add eggs one at a time whisking well after each addition. Stir in the grated zucchini.
- Add all the dry ingredients to the bowl and whisk to combine.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tin about ¾ of the way full. You should get 9 muffins.
- Bake for 21 minutes until the tops are golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- To squeeze out the zucchini, place the grated zucchini in a clean kitchen towel. Gather the towel at the top and twist to squeeze out the excess moisture.