Slow cooker shredded beef recipe with a hint of citrus flavors hints of the Caribbean but doesn't overwhelm. The perfect healthy shredded beef recipe for tacos, lettuce wraps, nachos or on its own. Easy and Paleo and AIP friendly!
How are your healthy new year’s resolutions going? We are still adhering to the Wahls Protocol. Mr. Peel is feeling better than ever. Sticking to the paleo based diet like Wahls, AIP or Whole30 can be hard without the right recipes. We have developed an arsenal of make ahead and crockpot meals like this citrus shredded beef.
It has Caribbean inspired flavors that stand on their own but also make a great base for so many options. We especially love it on lettuce wraps with shredded carrots, radishes and the easiest four-ingredient avocado sauce (which is always in our fridge or as the topping for our Sweet Potato Nachos). Yum.
How to Make Citrus Shredded Beef in the Slow Cooker
Put the beef, citrus, onions, and spices in the crockpot. Cook on low heat until beef is fall-apart tender. About 6 hours.
I don't bother searing the meat first unless I decide to make this in the oven. Speaking of which let's do some quick oven directions.
How to Make Citrus Shredded Beef in the Oven
Which works just like a braised. Sear, deglaze the pan, add the remaining ingredients and cover. Bake at 325 F degrees for 3 hours. Shred the beef and return to the broth.
You can also give this recipe a try in your Instant Pot! If you have made it that way let us know the best directions.
Essentially you can make citrus shredded beef in the manner that is easiest for you. Who doesn’t love a recipe that conforms to you? Oh, you? Then give our Pork Roast with Apples a try too!
And honestly, if you can make this, you can absolutely make our Nitrate-Free Corned Beef. Give it a try!
What make ahead, no fuss recipes are your go to? Share in the comments so we can all be healthier together!
Citrus Shredded Beef
- 2-3 lbs grass-fed beef roast we used a blade roast
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lime zested & juiced
- 1 orange zested & juiced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 5 whole cloves
- Place all ingredients in a crock pot on low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Once beef is falling apart tender, remove the beef and drain the broth. Shred the beef with a fork. Be sure to pull out the cloves! Add back enough broth to keep it moist but not wet.
- If the lime and orange aren't juicy you may need to up to a 1/4 cup of water. Have restraint! You don't want it to be soupy.
- Depending on the shape of your roast and the crock pot size you may need to cut the beef into large chunks.
- AIP Compliant