This Ground Beef and Broccoli recipe is an easy and delicious dinner that the whole family will love! It's made with simple, accessible ingredients that come together to create the best meal. Juicy ground beef and tender veggies all smothered in a savory sauce.
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Not only is this meal flavorful, but it comes together in less than 30 minutes Plus it requires only affordable ingredients you can easily find at your local grocery store.
I usually have all of the ingredients for this recipe on hand so I can easily whip this meal up any time we need a quick weeknight dinner!
I love a good steak recipe (hello garlic steak bites) but this recipe is much more affordable and is loaded with healthy vegetables. If you enjoy this recipe be sure to check out my ground beef with harissa and carrots dinner recipe.
📖Why This Recipe Works
- Budget Friendly. No expensive, specialty ingredients like chili paste, steak, etc. This recipe utilizes ingredients that are simple and accessible to everyone.
- One Pan. Who doesn't love an easy recipe that also requires very little cleanup?
- Healthy. Plenty of good-for-you protein and nutrients from the beef, plus the healthy, colorful blend of veggies. Tasty and healthy!
- Fast. Not just a 30 minute meal but a 20 minute meal! Truly one easy dinner recipe.
🧾Ground Beef and Broccoli Ingredients
Oil - We're using a mix of vegetable oil and sesame oil for this recipe. You can also use olive oil or avocado oil if you prefer.
Broccoli - I recommend fresh broccoli for this recipe. In a pinch, you can use frozen broccoli, just thaw it first and add just to warm once everything else is combined.
Pepper - I usually use red bell pepper, but you can use another variety or even a combination of bell peppers if preferred.
Onion - I love the flavor of white onion in this recipe, but yellow onion will work too.
Ground Beef - You will need 1 pound of ground beef for this recipe. I recommend an extra lean ground beef to prevent your dish from being too oily. If you use fattier beef, you may need to drain some of the excess oil after cooking.
Garnishes - You can finish your dish off with a sprinkle of sesame seeds, cilantro, and/or green onions.
Stir Fry Sauce - We're making a simple yet flavorful stir fry sauce with a combination of beef broth, Tamari/ soy sauce, rice vinegar, cornstarch, garlic, brown sugar, ginger, and red pepper flakes.
I do prefer fresh garlic in this recipe over garlic powder. You can use low-sodium soy sauce, if preferred.
See the recipe card for exact quantities.
⏲️How to Make Ground Beef and Broccoli
This easy ground beef recipe comes together in right around 20 minutes! It's quick, tasty, and perfect for busy weeknights.
Step 1 - Sauté the Veggies
Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon of sesame oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Add in the broccoli and bell pepper and cook until fork-tender. Transfer to a plate.
Step 2- Brown the Beef
In the same pan, add additional oil, then stir in the onions. Cook for a couple of minutes, then add in the ground beef. Cook until browned.
Step 3 - Add the Sauce
In a small bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients, then add that to the pan with the ground beef mixture.
Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened, then stir in the veggies. Toss everything to coat it well, sprinkle with the garnishes of your choice, then serve as desired.
🥗How to Serve Broccoli and Ground Beef
My favorite way to serve this easy ground beef with broccoli is over a pile of white rice or brown rice. If you have leftover sushi rice, you can use that as well.
If you want to keep it low-carb and keto, try serving it over a pile of cauliflower rice instead.
As a starter, I like to serve this Chinese salt and pepper shrimp recipe.
👩🏻🍳 Expert Tips
Using frozen broccoli? Let it thaw completely and do not sauté. Instead, add the red pepper with the onions and beef, brown the beef, add the sauce, then add in the thawed broccoli. Simmer until it's heated through.
Use another meat. Try swapping the ground beef out for any ground meat of your choice. Ground turkey, ground pork, or ground chicken are all great options.
Add other veggies. Feel free to add in whatever stir fry veggies you like! Try snap peas, baby corn, water chestnuts, green beans, you name it.
Leftover ground beef with broccoli can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, warm on low on the stove or in the microwave until heated through.
Weeknight Dinner Recipes
💭 Frequently Asked Questions
There are plenty of health benefits that come from both the beef and the veggies in this recipe! Ground beef alone is loaded with healthy protein and iron among other vitamins and nutrients. Pair that with the pepper, broccoli, and onion, and you've got a delicious and good-for-you meal ready to go.
This recipe is gluten-free when tamari (gluten-free soy sauce) is used in place of regular soy sauce.
Yes, use a ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger. However, I do think that fresh grated ginger has a significantly better flavor.
Did You Enjoy Making This Recipe? Please rate this recipe with ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ or leave a comment. It helps other wonderful people connect with our food.
Ground Beef and Broccoli
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil over medium heat. Add the broccoli and bell pepper. Saute the vegetables for 5 to 7 minutes stirring occasionally. Once they are fork-tender but still crisp move to a plate.2 tablespoons sesame oil, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 12 ounces fresh broccoli florets, 1 red bell pepper
- While the vegetables cook, whisk together the stir-fry sauce ingredients including the remaining sesame oil, and set aside.2 tablespoons sesame oil, ½ cup beef broth, 3 tablespoons tamari soy sauce, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 2 cloves garlic, 2 teaspoons brown sugar, 1 teaspoon ginger, ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Add more oil to the pan if necessary. Add the onions and saute for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the ground beef. Brown the ground beef, breaking it up into chunks with a fork.1 cup white onion, 1 lb ground beef
- Add the sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Stir in the vegetables and toss to coat in the sauce. Serve with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.sesame seeds