The most amazing braised rainbow carrots recipe with a zesty lemon-tahini dressing. These carrots are marinated then brasied before baking uncovered and drizzled with my favorite sauce ever!
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Rainbow carrots are one of my favorite winter to spring vegetable. Their brightness is a reminder that dreary Ohio skies will be shortly coming to an end. Their warm roasty goodness is perfect for the yet cold nights. Roasted rainbow carrots with lemon sesame dressing is the perfect recipe to bridge the seasons.
- Carrots- You will need both the carrot and the tops. If your carrots came without tops substitute parsley or chives. I like to use a variety of colors of carrots but plain old orange carrots work just fine.
- Vegetable Stock- We use veggie stock but if you aren't vegan or vegetarian you can sub chicken stock.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- If you generally find ACV to be overwhelming substitute red wine vinegar or only add half.
- Seasoning- Garlic powder, paprika, kosher salt
Lemon Sesame Dressing
- Tahini- Ground seame paste.
- Lemon Juice- Worth it use fresh squeezed but bottles works as well.
- Warm water, kosher salt and pepper
First and foremost, do not peel the carrots. Don’t ask why- mainly because I don’t actually know why. I just know when I peel them it doesn’t turn out right. Give the carrots a good scrub and trim the tops. But save those greens. They make an excellent garnish at the end.
You can use one pan for marinade and baking. Simply prepare the marinde and pour over the carrots.
We like these carrots to be on the firm side of perfectly cooked. Some people (I am not naming names!) have told me they prefer these carrots softer. In which case you will need to add a bit of water during cooking to ensure they don’t dry out and the carrots have nicely caramelized in the marinade by the end.
The lemon-sesame dressing is the perfect topper for rainbow carrots. Plus, the dressing comes together in a snap. Put all the ingredients in a blender or just whisk until smooth.
Making these rainbow carrots with lemon sesame dressing a quick, hands-off side dish. Leaving more time to play with the dogs. Which is really my priority in life.
Tips and Tricks
- Sometimes I am lazy and don’t even make the lemon sesame dressing. We just enjoy the marinade reduced to a sweet carroty goo. Yum!
- Altitude seems to really affect this recipe. Plan
- Try to use carrots of the same size for even cooking.
Here are some of our other favorite roasted vegetable recipes that are good for any season!
Whole Braised Rainbow Carrots with Lemon-Sesame Dressing
- Remove carrot greens and set aside. Thoroughly wash carrots but do NOT peel. Place carrots in rimmed baking sheet.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour over the carrots and cover with foil. Marinade for 30 minutes, occasionally rolling the carrots around in the marinade.
- While the carrots are marinating, preheat oven to 400 degrees and chop reserved carrot greens.
- Add carrots to oven with foil on, bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil, turn carrots. Return to oven and cook uncovered 20-25 minutes. If carrots begin to dry out add a small amount of water.
- Carrots are done when they pierce easily with a fork and not mushy. Liquid should be thick and gooey. Move to serving plate, garnish with chopped carrot greens and lemon sesame dressing.
Lemon Sesame Dressing
- Mix all ingredients in small food processor or blender. Salt to taste. Dressing should be thin enough to drizzle, add additional warm water if needed.
- If you don't enjoy the tartness of apple cider vinegar reduce to ⅛ cup.
- Leftover carrots can be stored in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.