Rainbow carrots are my favorite winter to spring vegetable. Their brightness is a reminder that dreary Ohio skies will be shortly coming to an end. While their warm roasty goodness is perfect for the yet cold nights. Roasted rainbow carrots with lemon sesame dressing is the perfect recipe to bridge the seasons.
One pan for marinade and baking, no peel required. Simple, easy and fewer dishes makes this the ultimate rainbow carrot recipe. Sometimes I am lazy and don’t even make the lemon sesame dressing. We just enjoy the marinade reduced to a sweet carroty goo. Yum!
How to Make Rainbow Carrots with Lemon Sesame Dressing
First and foremost, do not peel the carrots. Don’t ask why- mainly because I don’t actually know why. I just know when I peel them it doesn’t turn out right. Give the carrots a good scrub and trim the tops. But save those greens. They make an excellent garnish at the end. Carrot greens already removed? You can sub parsley or chives. Both make an excellent addition to the lemon sesame dressing.
We like these carrots to be on the firm side of perfectly cooked. Some people (I am not naming names!) have told me they prefer these carrots softer. In which case you will need to add a bit of water during cooking to ensure they don’t dry out and the carrots have nicely caramelized in the marinade by the end.
The lemon-sesame dressing is the perfect topper for rainbow carrots. Plus, the dressing comes together in a snap. Making these rainbow carrots with lemon sesame dressing a quick, hands off dish. More time to play with the dogs. Which is really my priority in life.
Whole Roasted Rainbow Carrots with Lemon-Sesame Dressing
- 1 lb carrots with greens
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 3/4 c chicken stock or sub veg stock
- 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
Lemon Sesame Dressing
- 1/4 c tahini
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- 1/4 c warm water
- salt, to taste
- Remove carrot greens and set aside. Thoroughly wash carrots but do NOT peel. Place carrots in rimmed baking sheet.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour over the carrots and cover with foil. Marinade for 30 minutes, occasionally rolling the carrots around in the marinade.
- While the carrots are marinating, preheat oven to 400 degrees and chop reserved carrot greens.
- Add carrots to oven with foil on, bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil, turn carrots. Return to oven and cook uncovered 20-25 minutes. If carrots begin to dry out add a small amount of water.
- Carrots are done when they pierce easily with a fork and not mushy. Liquid should be thick and gooey. Move to serving plate, garnish with chopped carrot greens and lemon sesame dressing.
Lemon Sesame Dressing
- Mix all ingredients in small food processor or blender. Salt to taste. Dressing should be thin enough to drizzle, add additional warm water if needed.
- AIP compliant- omit paprika and leave off tahini dressing.
- If you don't enjoy the tartness of apple cider vinegar reduce to 1/8 cup.