We have created the perfect seasoning blend for flank steak. Our seasoning blend is a unique mix of common spices you already have on hand. Perfect for a weeknight meal, try this Spice Crusted Grilled Flank Steak tonight!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
It is grilling weather, perfect not too hot, not too humid grilling weather. This means our Spice Crusted Grilled Flank Steak has been on regular rotation.
We love this recipe because it is simple, fast and the leftovers hold up well for weekday lunches. But most of all, we love the steak seasoning blend. We always make extra so we can save time and use it again and again.
Steak Seasoning Blend
You can combine all these dry ingredients and have the seasoning mix on hand until needed. When you are ready to go just portion out what you need and add olive oil to make a paste.
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Pinch of ground cloves
The cinnamon and cloves are unexpected and give this steak a unique flavor. I promise you have never had anything like it! It was originally adapted from a Bon Appetit recipe from the late 90s that is no longer online.
How to Cook Flank Steak
Flank steak is a long and thin cut of meat that is very lean. The muscle grain in flank steak all runs in a single direction, so the flank steak is ideal for grilling or broiling.
It is taken from the chest of the cow. Because this muscle is well used it can be tough. Cooking flank steak correctly will ensure it comes out tender in moist.
This means a short cook time to no more than medium-rare and properly cutting against the grain to ensure tenderness. This method also works great for skirt steak.
Mix together all the spices and olive oil to form a seasoning paste. Spread evenly over the steak and allow to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature. You can do this the night before and allow the steak to sit overnight in the refrigerator.
You will want to preheat your grill for a minimum of 10 minutes to ensure a quick and easy seer. Preheat grill on high for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and place steak on the grill racks over direct heat. Cook uncovered for 6 minutes, turning once, for medium-rare, about 140 F degrees.
Allow the steak to rest for 5 minutes, tented with foil. Cut across the grain into thin slices.
In just a few minutes you have the best tasting flank steak EVAH! Seriously that good. And that EASY!
Suggested Side Dishes
This is easy. I always serve it with Rainbow Potato Salad with Cilantro & Olive Dressing or our Tomato Salad during the summer. For Spring and Fall when the weather is cooler I opt for one of these awesome side dishes:
We use the leftovers (if there are any) in lettuce wraps with our Four Ingredient Avocado Sauce.
Happy grilling season! If you enjoyed this steak recipe be sure to check out our new balsamic bavette steak recipe!
Did You Enjoy Making This Recipe? Please rate this recipe with ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ or leave a comment. It helps other wonderful people connect with our food.
Spice Crusted Flank Steak
- Mix together all the spices and olive oil to form a paste. Spread evenly over the steak and allow to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt, 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 1 ½ teaspoon cumin, 1 ½ teaspoon ground coriander, 1 ½ teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon cloves, 2 lbs flank or skirt steak, 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat grill on High for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and place steak on the grill. Cook uncovered for 6 minutes, turning once, for medium- rare (or longer for your preferred temperature).
- Allow the steak to rest for 5 minutes, tented with foil. Cut across the grain into thin slices.
- Alternatively, you can broil in the oven for 5 minutes per side.
- Any leftover steak will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for 4 to 5 days.
- Grill, gas or charcoal