What is not to love about our quick and easy four-ingredient avocado sauce recipe that whips up in less than 5 minutes? Avocado lovers unite! We serve this creamy dressing on nachos and tacos, slather it on sandwiches and can even turn it into a salad dressing!
Did we mention this vegan plant-based sauce is also gluten and dairy free? No? OK so yep that is happening too. Pretty tasty right? This is one of our MANY no-cook sauce recipes, you need to try them all!
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Ingredients and Substitutions
With only four ingredients each one has to count. When making a quick no-cook dressing, dip, or sauce it is critically important to use the freshest ingredients.
- Avocados- You just need one, no brown spots. The California Avocado Association says if the avocado yields to firm gentle pressure you know it's ripe and ready-to-eat. It will feel slightly soft but it will not feel “mushy” to the touch. Ripe fruit is perfect for that day. If buying in advance, you want a slightly underripe fruit.
- Lime Juice- Fresh is best but bottled works. The lime juice has two purposes, to keep the avocado from browning and to give a zing to the dressing. For an extra lime flavor, use the zest of the lime as well. In a pinch, you can substitute lemon juice. Either way, this dressing needs the acid from the citrus to prevent oxidation.
- Cilantro- Bright fresh green leaves only. To make this dressing without cilantro, we recommend substituting parsley. We also enjoy a 50/50 cilantro-parsley split.
- EVOO- Good quality extra virgin olive oil. Because this sauce recipe isn't cooked, the olive oil really stands out. Pick wisely.
Now that we know what's in this avocado sauce, how do we make it?
When a recipe is so simple (and fast) I like to have a repertoire of variations so I can use it in a wide variety of dishes. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Spicy Avocado Sauce- Add half a jalapeno, including veins and seeds to the food processor. Taste for heat and add the other half if needed.
- Garlicky Avocado Sauce- Add two peeled cloves of garlic. If this is your jam, check out our garlic lovers green bean recipe!
- Avocado Sandwich Spread- Swap out the EVOO for an equal amount of mayonnaise OR for a vegan sandwich spread cut the EVOO in half.
- Avocado Salad Dressing- Add 3 tablespoons of lukewarm water after the sauce is made. Continue to add warm water until the desired consistency is achieved. We have found that this varies greatly depending on the avocado used.
- Avocado Dressing with Spring Herbs- Swap out the cilantro for ½ parsley and ½ chives.
How to Use Our Avocado Sauce Recipe
With so many variations on this sauce recipe the uses are probably endless.
- We like the garlicky version with crudites or over roasted asparagus.
- Make these awesome Sweet Potato Nachos with Shredded Beef.
- Or make the spicy version and drizzle it on tacos.
- Slather it on a sandwich, use in place of our vegan basil pesto on this roasted veggie sandwich.
- Drizzle on grilled chicken or steak.warm it up (just slightly to keep the olive oil from oxidizing) to serve with grilled chicken or fish.
Basically, our four-ingredient avocado sauce can do anything. Okay, maybe not create world peace but almost anything.
Now that you have the best sauce ever, what are you going to do with it? Let us know in the comments. Brownie points for the best idea!
Four-Ingredient Avocado Sauce
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
- Puree on high until smooth. About one minute. Lukewarm water can be added to thin the sauce to desired consistency.
- Salt to taste.
- See blog post for avocado sauce variations (spicy, salad dressing, etc).
- The avocado sauce will store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days in a tightly covered jar.