Our perfect roasted veggie sandwich recipe features all the end of season vegetables roasted to perfection along with fresh basil pesto and garlicky vegan cream cheese. This sandwich will please vegans and meat-eaters alike.
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
Now we all love a fresh veggie wrap with crunchy summer vegetables and lots of greens. However, nothing beats the intense flavor you get with roasting your veggies. Plus, it is a great way to use up vegetables that may be getting close to their end of shelf life or ones that may have been picked before they hit peak ripeness.
Roasting vegetables that are off season is a great way to concentrate their flavor and make up for what they lack in ripeness.
Woohoo for using up old produce and turning leftovers into lunch!
What Vegetables are Best for a Roasted Veggie Sandwich?
You can use any hearty vegetable that can stand up to grilling or roasting. But here are our favorites:
- Tomatoes- Slow roasting requires very little effort but lots of patience while the moisture evaporates to leave behind the most intensely sweet flavor. This is an excellent way to use up a bad batch of mealy tomatoes.
- Zucchini- The vegetable we never know what to do with is a mainstay in all my veggie sandwiches. The mild flavor pairs well with just about any sauce or seasoning.
- Yellow Summer Squash- The vegetable I never know what to do with but we always end up growing in our garden!
- Sweet Bell Peppers- easy to do in the oven, on the grill or on your gas stove. Roasted peppers are one of the easiest veggies to make at home. Getting them charred black and smoky just adds to the flavor of this sandwich.
- Red Onions- Roasting these babies is the perfect way to rid them of the oniony bitterness. While you can use white or yellow onions, but we find them too sweet.
- Eggplant- High in antioxidants but low on my list of favorite stand-alone vegetables. Always a supporting character, we prefer adding roasted eggplant to dished where they get to play with bolder flavors.
- Portabella Mushrooms- More than a meat substitute, mushrooms add a deep earthy flavor that balances out the sweetness of the tomatoes and red onion.
You can all try roasting spicier peppers like poblanos or jalapenos, cauliflower florets or steaks or even thinly sliced carrots.
What Bread Should I Use for A Roasted Veggie Sandwich?
Roasting vegetables causes them to give off water. The vegetables will continue to give off water while they are cooling. Pick hearty bread like a baguette or a ciabatta that can stand up to a little moisture.
We chose Schar Gluten Free Ciabatta Rolls for our sandwiches. Not only are they are delightful in flavor, but they are also a perfect size and easy to hold without all the veggies sliding out.
What Sauces, Toppings and Condiments Are on A Veggie Sandwich?
We like sauces that highlight the roasted vegetables not overpowers them like pestos, tapenades, fresh marinara, mustards or aioli are all great options. In the springtime, we take advantage of the short season but extra garlicky ramps and use our ramp pesto. But our overall year round preference is our Easy Vegan Basil Pesto.
If you eat dairy, you can add cheeses that are soft in texture or easily melt like mozzarella, goat cheese or a herby cheese spread. But again we chose to keep it dairy-free with our Roasted Garlic Cashew Cream Cheese.
For roasted veggie sandwiches avoid adding anything with high water content, like salsas and relishes or adding any fresh veggies or greens.
What to Serve with Roasted Veggie Sandwiches?
Every great sandwich needs a great side dish. Here are a few side dish ideas to inspire your culinary adventure:
- Tomato soup topped with leftover Vegan Basil Pesto
- Homemade chips, we like these from Epicurious
- Mixed green salad with a Cilantro & Olive Vinaigrette
- Carrot sticks with leftover Roasted Garlic Cream Cheese
- Dairy-free strawberry milkshakes
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave us a rating or a comment. It helps other wonderful people connect with our food.
Roasted Veggie Sandwich with Basil Pesto
- 4 Ciabatta rolls
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- ¾ cup Vegan Garlic Cream Cheese or soft cheese of your choice
- ½ cup Basil Pesto
- 1 small Eggplant sliced & roasted
- 1 small Zucchini sliced & roasted
- 1 small red onion sliced & roasted
- 1 Bell Pepper, red or orange sliced & roasted
- 2 Portabello Mushroom Caps sliced & roasted
- 4 Roma tomatoes halved & slow roasted
- Cut the rolls in half and brush with olive oil. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Place rolls cut down and toast for 3-4 minutes until slightly toasted and golden brown.
- Spread the cream cheese evenly on the top and botton of each roll.
- Add a round of eggplant on the bottom of each roll. Top with pesto. Repeat with each vegetable layering on the pesto then top with bun. A long toothpick can be helpful for keeping the sandwiches together.