Homemade lemon soda is a refreshing and delicious beverage that takes just a few simple ingredients. This easy recipe allows you to control the sweetness and lemon flavor. The result is a sparkling lemon drink that's perfect for cooling off on a hot summer day.
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
My lemon syrup is the basis for this recipe. It is a tart lemon simple syrup is perfect for making your favorite carbonated soft drink at home!
📖Why This Recipe Works
Unlike store-bought sodas that come loaded with artificial additives, my homemade lemon soda uses all-natural ingredients, so you can beat the summer heat and still feel good about drinking soda pop.
With our recipe, you can adjust the level of sweetness to suit your preferences, creating a perfectly balanced soda that's not too sugary or overly tart.
Want a sweet lemon soda? Increase the syrup. Want a lightly sweetened drink? Use a little less.
You can also use this soda in any cocktail recipe that calls for lemon-lime soda.
Fresh Lemons- I prefer to juice my own lemons but you can use bottled lemon juice but it typically doesn't taste as fresh.
Sugar- I use plain white usage for my syrup but feel free to experiment with alternative sweeteners like honey or agave syrup.
Sparkling Water- I make my own soda water using a SodaSteam. But you can use soda water, sparkling mineral water, or club soda. And yes there is a difference.
What is the difference between soda water, sparkling mineral water, and club soda?
While all very similar there are small but noticeable differences between the three. Soda water is just carbonated water with no additions. Mineral water is carbonated water from natural mineral springs and each brand will have a unique taste.
Finally, club soda is carbonated water that has added minerals. It will have slightly more flavor and some people think it tastes saltier.
Examples would be what comes out of a SodaStream is soda water, Pellegrino and Perrier are sparkling water, and Canadian Dry is club soda.
Italian Cream Soda
Transform your lemon soda into a luscious Italian delight by adding 3 teaspoons of heavy cream. The result is a velvety, dreamy beverage that's rich and satisfying.
Homemade Lemon Lime Soda
Combine lemons and lime juice in equal parts to create the syrup. This variation infuses your soda with a tangy, citrusy medley that's simply irresistible.
⏲️How to Make Lemon Soda
Well, this is going to be quick!
Step 1- Make the Lemon Syrup
If you want more details on the syrup you can read the full lemon syrup post. But the key points are:
- Remove the lemon zest using a small paring knife, and remove just the yellow part of the lemon peel.
- Gently heat the ingredients until the sugar dissolves, about 3-5 minutes.
- Allow the lemon zest to steep in the sugar syrup for about 30 minutes for maximum flavor.
Step 2- Serve
Fill a tall glass tumbler halfway with ice cubes. Add 2-3 tablespoons of fresh lemon syrup, depending on your taste preference.
Top off the glass with chilled soda water and stir gently to combine.
Garnish with a few lemon slices and fresh mint leaves. Or even fresh thyme!
👩🏻🍳 Expert Tip
Roll your lemons before juicing to maximize the amount of juice you get from each lemon.
After cooling, transfer any leftover lemon syrup to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to a month. Shake before each use, and discard if cloudy.
For long-term storage, freeze in ice cube trays and transfer to a freezer bag.
More Refreshing Drink Recipes
💭 Frequently Asked Questions
Technically you make a large pitcher full but my suggestion is to make this in individual glasses.
If you stir the mixture too much, which is needed with a pitcher to ensure the lemon is evenly distributed, you will cause the bubbles to burst losing much of the carbonation.
Did You Enjoy Making This Recipe? Please rate this recipe with ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ or leave a comment. It helps other wonderful people connect with our food.
- 1 lemons zest only
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons homemade lemon syrup
- 1 cup club soda or soda water
- Use a small paring knife to remove the yellow part of the peel avoiding the bitter white pith. Set the zest aside.1 lemons
- Place a small saucepan over heat medium-low heat, add the granulated sugar. and lemon juice. Gently stir until the sugar has dissolved completely about 3 to 5 minutes.½ cup fresh lemon juice, ½ cup granulated sugar
- Once dissolved, remove the saucepan from the heat and add the lemon zest. Allow the syrup to steep for 30 minutes.
- Fill a glass tumbler with ice. Add the lemon syrup and top with your club soda or soda water.2 Tablespoons homemade lemon syrup, 1 cup club soda or soda water
- Experiment with the sweetness level using Meyer lemons or embrace tanginess with traditional lemons.
- Zest the lemons before squeezing out the juice.
- It takes about 2 to 3 lemons to make a ½ cup of fresh lemon juice. You can also use bottled lemon juice