Our roasted zucchini is a great addition to any meal. Baked in the oven, this recipe is versatile and easy. For a stand-alone side dish top with basil pesto, use it in your favorite lunch bowl, or as part of a roasted veggie sandwich. Roasted zucchini can be served warm or at room temperature.
Not sure how to make zucchini quickly without the rubberiness or excess water? Then this recipe is for you!
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
And just like our other roasted favorites, this recipe could not possibly be any easier!
🧾 How to Roast Zucchini
Step 1: Prep the Zucchini
Wash and dry the zucchini. Trim both ends and then slice ½ inch thick on the diagonal. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
Alternately you can oil the baking sheet but I find parchment works better. Arrange the zucchini on the baking sheet so the slices are not touching. Lightly oil both sides. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
Step 2: Roasting
Roast in a pre-heated 400 F degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Flip halfway through for even caramelization. Roasted zucchini shouldn't be mushy or rubbery. A nice firm texture with a light crunch and golden brown.
This recipe doesn't require any fancy equipment, making it perfect for beginner home cooks. You will need:
- Cutting board
- Sheet pan
- Parchment Paper (optional)
💬 Common Zucchini Questions
Like eggplant and other squashes, zucchini should feel heavy for its size. The skin should be dark green and smooth and free of blemishes. If the skin looks slightly shriveled, it probably hasn't been freshly picked.
Zucchini is ready to harvest when it is a minimum of 6 inches long. The color should already be bright green. You can wait to pick some larger varieties until they are bigger.
If the zucchini is soft discard it. Zucchini should always feel firm.
No. You do not need to peel the zucchini. Like other vegetables with high water content, the majority of the nutrients are in the skin.
Many supermarket veggies are waxed so be sure to thoroughly clean and dry before using.
For this recipe, we cut into ½ inch round slices for quick and even cooking. You can also cut into spears when roasting or baking but I found that spears having one thick side and one thin side result in under or over baking one part of the zucchini.
Zucchini can be cut into half moons or spiralized for sauteing and shredded for fritters.
10 to 15 minutes turning halfway through. This recipe says 12, but check it at 10 minutes. The recipe assumes you did at least a ½ inch round. If your zucchini is smaller it will be done sooner.
Well-cooked zucchini should be a little crunchy still.
There are three reasons soggy zucchini happens. First, overcrowding in the pan. Leave plenty of space on the baking sheet.
Second, overcooking the zucchini. Always check your zucchini a few minutes before you think it will be done. If you are roasting zucchini for meal prep only cook it halfway so it is properly done on the reheat.
Third- your zucchini wasn't fresh. See above on selecting and storing zucchini.
I prefer to store zucchini in the crisper section of the refrigerator. Store them whole, dry, and unwashed. The zucchini should keep for at least a week.
🥗 How to Use Roasted Zucchini
While roasted zucchini is great on its own as a side dish we find it is one of those vegetables that can be incorporated into a variety of dishes
- Served with roasted eggplant, top with feta (optional), toasted pine nuts, and fresh parsley
- Tossed with our quick and easy san marazano sauce and fresh parsley
- On top of lemon chicken piccata
- Over a salad with marinated artichokes, roasted peppers, Kalamata olives
- As part of
veggiestack with basil pesto
- On a roasted veggie sandwich
Want to jazz up your zucchini to use as a side dish?
💭 Seasoning Ideas
While this recipe is for the basics of roasting zucchini we get you might want to jazz it up a bit more than salt and pepper. Here are some of our favorite seasoning blends that you can add before baking the zucchini.
- Lemon- Pepper- 2 tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning blend or 1 teaspoon of black pepper and the zest of two lemons
- Greek- 2 tablespoons Za'atar spice blend
- Parmesan- and crushed red pepper flakes- ¼ cup of parmesan cheese plus ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- Curry- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder plus ½ teaspoon garlic power
- Tuscan- 1 tablespoon crushed fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon onion powder, and ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Tex Mex- 1 tablespoon chili powder, 2 teaspoons cumin, and 1teaspoon coriander
- Peel House Blend- 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 teaspoon celery salt, and a pinch of cumin (hold the kosher salt)
- Spicy Italian- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend plus 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Sesame & Herb- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, ½ teaspoon celery seed, ½ teaspoon dried parsley, and ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Lemon & Herb- zest of one lemon plus 1 teaspoon each of dried basil, parsley, and oregano.
🌡️ Storing Leftovers
I recommend eating the baked zucchini right away. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Reheat in the oven set to 400 F degrees until warmed through.
Do not freeze roasted zucchini.
And be sure to check out our other roasted vegetable recipes:
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes
- Roasted Bell Peppers
- Roasted Red Onions
- How to Roast Eggplant
- How to Roast Portabella Mushrooms
- Roasted Watermelon Radishes
- Roasted Carrots with Lemon- Sesame Dressing
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or brush the pan with olive oil.
- Cut zucchini diagonally into ½ inch slices. Place on parchment paper. Brush lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast until tender but still crunchy, 12-15 minutes. Flipping halfway through.
- I recommend eating the baked zucchini right away. Store leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Reheat in the oven set to 400 F degrees until warmed through.
- Do not freeze roasted zucchini.