Move over sugar bomb quick bread, this savory cheddar and onion gluten-free zucchini bread is the most delightful gluten-free bread we have ever made. Seriously, the best gluten-free bread recipe we have ever made!
You can have it for breakfast, try dipping it in runny eggs. As a snack with a little leftover marinara for dipping. Or alongside tonight's dinner, it is a perfect pairing with a big salad.
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
Now don't get me wrong, I love a traditional zucchini bread (or actually in my case a zucchini muffin) but there is something about the cheese and green onions in this recipe that speak to me.
This recipe uses all the standard ingredients the best gluten-free quick breads typically use plus our extras for the perfect flavor profile.
- Fresh zucchini
- Gluten Free Flour Blend
- Xanthan gum
- Sugar- just a little bit, but feel free to omit to keep this recipe sugar free
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Kosher salt
- Garlic powder
- Milk- Use whole milk, not low fat or fat free
- Sharp cheddar
- Green onions (scallions) or shallots plus chives
Typically, we recommend avoiding flours that contain chickpea for gluten-free baking. However, because this is a savory recipe chickpea flour is a great addition.
If your flour contains xanthan gum you can omit it.
Choosing Zucchini for Zucchini Bread
If you are purchasing zucchini at the farmer's market or grocery store, look for zucchini that is smaller in size without nicks or cuts in the skin. Really fresh zucchini may still have little bristles on the top portion or stem.
If you are growing your own zucchini, check that the fruit is firm with smooth skin. It should come off the plant easily when it is pulled, typically the fruit will be 6 to 8 inches long. Softness indicates that the fruit is probably rotting and should be discarded.
Did you forget to check your zucchini plants and now have overgrown zucchini? No worries! You can use them in this zucchini bread recipe, just be sure to squeeze out the excess water.
Store your zucchini in the crisper in the fridge until you are ready to use. Due to water content, I don't recommend freezing zucchini until you are ready to use it.
Making gluten-free quick bread is very straightforward. We mix our wet and dry ingredients separately and then combine. But like all gluten-free baking, there are a few tips and tricks that ensure a perfect loaf every time.
Step 1- Prep Oven and Pan
Preheat your oven to 350 F degrees. You can use a standard 9x5 loaf pan or small loaf pan that is common in gluten-free baking. Your pan should be well oiled, you can use a spray, butter, or brush with olive oil.
Step 2- Combine Dry Ingredients
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, garlic powder, and salt. Give them a stir to fully combine,
Step 3- Combine Wet Ingredients
In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter, and egg. I usually melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Butter gets hot fast, heat on 50% power for 20 to 30 seconds.
Step 4- Mix Dry and Wet Ingredients
Add milk mixture to dry mixture and stir with a silicone spatula to combine well. There should be no dry spots of flour, but the bread dough will be very sticky looking. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes before moving on.
Gluten-free flours need to rehydrate. Especially if you are using a chickpea flour blend. For best results, don't skip the resting period.
Step 5- How to Grate Zucchini for Bread
While the batter is resting prepare your zucchini. Cut off the stem of the zucchini. Zucchini can be grated on a large side of a box grater or using the grater on your food processor. When making a single loaf I use a box grater.
But I often batch cook this and double or triple the recipe, freezing the extra loaves. When making more than one loaf of zucchini bread I use the food processor.
The best way to grate zucchini is whatever method is fastest for you!
Wrap the grated zucchini in a towel and gently squeeze until some of the liquid releases. You don't need to completely dry it out. We want this to be moist zucchini bread so don't go nuts, a tablespoon or liquid should be plenty.
Step 6- Fold in the Cheese and Zucchini
Using a silicone spatula gently fold in the grated zucchini, cheddar cheese, and green onions. If you want to add any fresh herbs now would be the time to add them.
Step 6- Bake and Cool
Pour batter into prepared pan. Using the spatula smear it around to even it out. This zucchini bread recipe needs about 50 minutes in the oven. It is ready when a toothpick or knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Remove carefully and cool on a wire rack.
High Altitude Baking Instructions
For high-altitude baking, you need to reduce the total quantity of baking soda based on your elevation. Reduce to 3 teaspoons for 3500 feet and 2 teaspoons for above 5000 feet and 1 teaspoon above 6500 feet.
Increase milk by 1 tablespoon for over 3500 feet to ensure the bread stays moist.
Adjust the baking time by increasing the heat to 375 F degrees and cooking for a shorter period of time, about4 0 minutes.
🥘Tips and Tricks
- I can't emphasize enough that you need to rest the batter. If you forgot, you can rest for 10 minutes before popping zucchini bread in the oven.
- Moist zucchini bread is a must, gluten free baked goods tend to dry out and get extra crumbly. Fat, not water, is the key to maintaining moisture. Use full fat milk, butter, and cheese.
- Have leftover bacon and garden tomatoes? I love a savory quick bread BLT!
💭 Savory Zucchini Bread Variations
Savory zucchini bread can be made in a variety of ways by adding or changing up the savory components. If I have fresh thyme on hand I typically add that, but not always.
Here are few more ideas:
Spicy Tex-Mex Zucchini Bread
Make it spicy by adding diced jalapeno plus 1 teaspoon of ground cumin and 2 teaspoons of smoked chili powder. If you don't have, or can't find, smoked chili powder substitute 2 teaspoons of chili powder plus 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika.
Curry Zucchini Bread
Swap out the shredded cheddar cheese for swiss or havarti cheese. Add 3 tablespoons of madras curry powder. Optional, but I like to add a diced serrano pepper in too.
Sping Herb Zucchini Bread
Add ¼ cup of chopped fresh chives plus 2 tablespoons of fresh dill in addition to the green onions.
🔪 Gluten Free Baking Equipment
This recipe is fantastic for beginning bakers because no fancy equipment is required. Not even a mixer. You need the following equipment to make this (or really any other zucchini bread).
🌡️ Freezing Zucchini Bread
Because of the cheese component, zucchini bread is best stored in the refrigerator. Once cooled, tightly wrap the bread in foil or saran wrap and store in the fridge for 5 to 7 days.
Zucchini bread can be frozen. You have two options, you can freeze either half or full loaves of bread or you can store individual slices (great for breakfast on the run!).
Freezing Whole and Half Loaves
For long term freezing store as a full loaf. Wrap tightly in saran wrap and then place in a freezer bag. Press all the air out and seal. Store in the freezer for 3 to 5 months.
Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before slicing and eating. I find that zucchini bread that has been frozen for longer than a month benefits from a quick toast in the oven at 200 degrees.
Freezing Individual Slices
To freeze slices cut the loaf into 8 to 10 pieces. Place a piece of parchment or a square of foil between each slice. Place in a 1-gallon freezer bag. Press all the air out and seal. Store in the freezer for 1 to 2 months.
To thaw, either pull out a single slice and thaw on a plate for 30 to 60 minutes or thaw overnight in the fridge.
🥗More Gluten Free Bread Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out some of our quick and easy gluten-free bread recipes.
- Brown Sugar and Oat Banana Bread
- Unleavened Turkish Flatbreads
- Gluten- Free Soda Bread (not just for St. Patrick's Day!)
Savory Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
- 1 ½ cups zucchini grated
- 2 cups gluten-free flour blend
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum omit if your flour blend contains
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 ½ cups grated sharp cheddar
- 4 green onions whites and light green parts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and brush a 9x5 loaf pan with oil.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.2 cups gluten-free flour blend, ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, 4 teaspoons baking powder, ½ teaspoons baking soda, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- In a small bowl, combine milk, melted butter, and egg.1 cup milk, 2 eggs, 3 tablespoons butter
- Add milk mixture to dry mixture and stir to combine. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes before moving on.4 green onions, 1 ½ cups grated sharp cheddar
- While the batter is resting, wrap grated zucchini in a paper towel and squeeze until some of the liquid releases. You don't need to completely dry it out. Just a tablespoon of liquid or so.1 ½ cups zucchini
- Gently fold in grated zucchini, cheese, and green onions.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Remove carefully and cool on a wire rack.
- Heat oven to 375 F degrees and cook for 40 minutes.
- Reduce baking soda to 3 teaspoons for 3500 ft and 2 teaspoons for above 5000 ft and 1 teaspoon above 6500 ft.
- Increase milk by 1 tablespoon.
💬Frequently Asked Questions
No, regardless if you are making a sweet or savory zucchini bread you should not peel zucchini.
A standard loaf pan (9x5) of zucchini bread should be baked at 350 F degrees for 50 minutes. For high elevations, bake at 375 F degrees for 40 minutes. The bread is done when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.