This oat flour banana bread recipe uses cinnamon and brown sugar to create rich caramel flavor. This blender bread recipe is naturally gluten and dairy free. But you won't even notice what's missing because this banana bread is moist and has a fluffy texture.
This recipe came about when I was trying to make a banana cake. The cake didn't turn out quite right. It was more like banana bread-cake. So I swapped out the gluten free flour blend for oat flour and the perfect gluten free banana bread recipe was born.
As for the gluten-free banana cake... I finally nailed that recipe too.
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
🍞Why We Love This Banana Bread Recipe
- Naturally gluten free
- Naturally dairy free
- Made from whole grains
- Brown sugar for a richer flavor
- Blender recipe, no bowls, mixers, or whisks needed
🧾Ingredients and Substitutions
- Bananas- If you are new to baking with bananas the most important thing you need to remember is that you must use overly ripe bananas. If they are a bit too mushy to eat on their own they are perfect for this banana bread. See our tips and tricks section for how to quickly ripen bananas in the oven.
- Oat Flour- You can buy oat flour but it is oddly expensive. I make oat flour at home from rolled oats. Check out our tutorial on how to make oat flour. To keep this banana bread recipe gluten free be sure to buy certified gluten free to prevent cross contamination.
- Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar- You can cane (i.e. white) sugar or coconut sugar. I use coconut sugar because I like the flavor better.
- Eggs- For baking, you want to be sure to buy large or extra large eggs. What an extra creamy bread? Try using duck eggs. The larger yolks add more fat to the loaf.
- Vanilla- Extract, powder or scrapped from a pod (use half a pod)
- Coconut Oil- Vegetable oil works equally as well.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Ground Cinnamon
- Kosher Salt
⏲️How to Make Oat Flour Banana Bread
This recipe is made in a blender or food processor and then baked low and slow. Personally, I prefer to use my food processor because it is easier to use a rubber spatula to clean out all the gooey batter.
Start by placing a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat to 350 F degrees.
Because this cake is so moist I recommend lining the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. Fully grease your pan with coconut or vegetable oil to prevent sticking.
If you are making your own oat flour you will want to do that first and then transfer it to a bowl.
In a food processor, add the bananas and puree until very smooth. Next, we are going to add our "wet" ingredients; the sugars, vanilla, and eggs. Blend until frothy. This takes about 30 to 60 seconds.
With the processor running, slowly add the oil in a steady stream. If using coconut oil be sure to melt it first. Not too hot, you don't want to cook the eggs. Process an additional 30 seconds until emulsified.
Now we add the dry ingredients. Add the oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and pulse to combine.
Pour batter into prepared baking pan and smooth out the top. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick or knife comes out clean. I find this recipe takes longer to bake than a loaf of traditional banana bread.
Place cake on a wire rack, let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes before turning out of the pan. Let it cool completely, don't be surprised if the bread drops in height a little. This is normal for gluten-free quick breads.
🥡 How to Store Banana Bread
Cool your banana bread completely. This banana bread should be tightly wrapped in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for two to three days.
Alternatively, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to five days. Allow the bread to come to room temperature before eating.
For freezing, tightly wrap the loaf (or do individual slices) in 2 layers of plastic wrap. place in a large freezer storage bag or container. Freeze up to 3 months.
To thaw, remove from the container but keep the bread wrapped, for 2 to 3 hours at room temperature.
🍌Tips and Tricks
- If you make oat flour, just dump it into a bowl and add the bananas without washing the blender. The small amount of residual flour won't affect the recipe and it will save you a few minutes.
- Decorate the top before baking with strips of bananas or a handful of whole oats.
- Need to quickly ripen your bananas? Place the bananas, still in their peels, on a cookie sheet and bake at 300ºF for 30 minutes. The banana peels will be completely black but perfectly sweet on the inside. Allow them to cool before using.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Add 1 cup of chocolate chips at the end. You will need to stir in by hand. Or do ½ cup chocolate chips and a ½ cup chopped walnuts for a chocolate nut bread.
Coconut Banana Bread
Reduce the oat flour by ½ cup. Add ½ cup of coconut flour and ¼ cup shredded coconut.
Bourbon Banana Nut Bread
Add 3 tablespoons of bourbon to the pureed banana. And stir in ¾ cup chopped walnuts right before baking.
Working with oat flour is easier than you might think. Check our list of the best oat flour recipes for ideas on how to incorporate oat flour into savory recipes and more baking dieas.
🍰More Gluten Free Baking Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe then definitely check out our other gluten free baking recipes. All these recipes are also dairy free making them perfect for everyone in the family.
Please leave us a comment and let us know how this recipe worked for you. Don't forget to share your creation on Instagram. Tagging us @peelwithzeal or #peelwithzeal
Brown Sugar Banana Oat Bread
- Place rack in center of oven. Preheat to 350 F degrees. Line the bottom of a loaf pan, grease the sides. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add the bananas and puree until smooth. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, and eggs until frothy.
- With the processor running, add oil in a steady stream. Process an additional 30 seconds until emulsified.
- Add the oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Pulse to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Smooth out top. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Place cake on wire rack and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Loosen the edges with a knife and turn out onto rack. Cool completely (if you can wait that long!).
- See post above for making oat flour from rolled oats.