This vegan cream of celery soup recipe shines thanks to a big heaping of dill and a drizzle of EVOO. Ready in under 30 minutes! It is garnished with a dill and celery salad, simply too pretty not to eat. Who doesn’t love a dairy-free soup that tastes like spring but is still hearty and warm for those chilly days? Simple to make, no soaking nuts overnight and doesn’t have the weird taste of coconut milk. What are you waiting for?
Please read the entire posts for tips and tricks for a perfect recipe every time. And don’t forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
Cream of celery soup is one of those recipes where Mr. Peel is like ‘you made what?!? Why?’. He thinks cream of celery soup is something you only use for weird Ohio casseroles that involves chicken, copious amounts of dairy products and cornflakes. I made him a little work lunch and when he came home that night I got a ‘hot damn that was ACTUALLY good’.
So, there you have it, folks. Cream of celery soup isn’t just for weird Ohio casseroles anymore. We are getting so fancy around here!
What Ingredients are in Cream of Celery Soup?
All the ingredients that are go into this dairy-free version of cream of celery soup are easy to find in any grocery store. We especially love this recipe because it is made without nuts or coconut and is naturally gluten-free. A great bonus if you are having to manage multiple allergies.
- Celery- This is the star ingredient so freshness is important. Look for thin to medium stalks with thin veins. Heavy, thick stalks may turn out stringy when you try to puree You will need a bunch of celery that contains their leaves still in order to make the garnish.
- Potato- Our preferred variety is a Yukon Gold but any potato that leans towards starchy will do. The potato is what gives this soups its body and creamy texture. You can also substitute a celeriac bulb for a more intense celery flavor.
- White Onion- Not sweet, and definitely not red Just a simple white onion. Feeling adventurous? Try substituting leeks or wild ramps, if you can find them.
- Garlic- The universal ingredient. Is any soup complete without it?
- Dill- Used in both the soup and the garnish, dill brightens up this dish.
- Vegetable Stock– Homemade or store-bought I prefer a veggie stock that is light in color and without mushrooms The mushrooms have a great earthy flavor but it can overpower the delicate flavors of this dish. While not vegan, if you are just looking to avoid dairy you can substitute a light chicken broth. Although, in my personal opinion the vegan version is not just kinder to our planet but also better in taste.
- Lemon Juice- My mantra… all recipes must have acid! A zip of lemon juice really makes all the difference.
- EVOO- Extra Virgin Olive Oil… time to break out the good stuff. A healthy drizzle adds much needed fat to this dish and enhances the creamy feeling.
How to Make Vegan Cream of Celery Soup with Dill
This dairy-free recipe only takes 30 minutes start to finish and fairly minimal prep. Because the soup if pureed at the end a rough chop on the vegetables is all you need.
- In a small stock pan, melt olive oil over medium heat. Saute celery, onion, and potato until the onion and celery begin to soften.
- Once the veggies are slightly softened add the garlic and cook 1 min longer. Resist the urge to add it early as you don’t want the garlic to burn.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender. About 10-12 minutes.
- Now it is time to puree the soup. While you can use a an immersion blender I recommend using a regular blender for a smoother texture. Before blending add the dill and lemon juice. Puree until smooth and always be careful with hot liquid! And if you are feeling fancy, pour the puree through a fine mesh strainer.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Because I typically use store-bought vegetable stock I wait until the end to taste for seasoning.
- While the soup is simmering, toss together the ingredients for the salad.
- Pour the soup into bowls and garnish with the celery leaf salad and a heavy drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
The leftover celery leaves make a nice little salad for garnish, along with a drizzle of olive oil, flaky sea salt and a few good cracks of black pepper.
Vegan Cream of Celery Soup
- 1 head celery, chopped, leaves set aside
- 1 sm onion, chopped
- 1 sm starchy potato, peeled and chopped or substitute 1/2 bulb celeriac
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
Celery Salad Garnish (optional)
- celery leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp dill, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more for garnish
- In a small stock pan, melt olive oil over medium heat. Saute celery, onion, potato for 8 minutes. Add garlic, cook 1 min longer.
- Add stock and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender. About 10-12 minutes.
- Pour into blender, add dill and lemon juice. Puree until smooth and always be careful with hot liquids. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with salad, salt and pepper and a heavy drizzle of olive oil.
- Mix together all ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.