Vegan cream of celery soup with dill is the perfect spring dish. Garnished with a dill and celery salad it tastes like spring. But hearty and warm for those still chilly days. Currently, I am admiring the spring blooms on the cherry trees and the daffodils poking up… while it sideways snows. It is April in Ohio, this is just how we roll.
Cream of celery soup is one of those recipes where Mr. Peel is like ‘you made what?!? Why?’. He thinks cream of celery soup is something you only use for weird Ohio casseroles that involves chicken, copious amounts of dairy products and cornflakes. I made him a little work lunch and when he came home that night I got a ‘hot damn that was ACTUALLY good’.
So, there you have it folks. Cream of celery soup isn’t just for weird Ohio casseroles anymore. We so fancy!
How to Make Vegan Cream of Celery Soup with Dill
First you need to pick your starchy veggie. You will thicken this soup with root veggies rather than heavy cream, flour or other binder. The batch in the photos I used a basic white potato but white sweet potato gives the same result. However, my absolute favorite is a nice bulb of celeriac. But sometimes you got to use what you have on hand and a trusty old potato always does the trick. If you are following Whole30, paleo or an AIP diet the white sweet potato is the perfect choice.
After picking your starchy vegetable, the rest of the soup is easy and straight forward. One pan for the sauté, cook down with the stock and then a quick puree in the blender. For a more elegant version put the soup through a fine mesh strainer.
The leftover celery leaves make a nice little salad for garnish, along with a drizzle of olive oil, flaky sea salt and a few good cracks of black pepper.
This is not your typical cream of celery soup. Enjoy!
Vegan Cream of Celery Soup
- 1 head celery, chopped, leaves set aside
- 1 sm onion, chopped
- 1 sm white sweet potato or waxy potato, peeled and chopped or substitue 1/2 bulb celeriac
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
Celery Salad Garnish (optional)
- celery leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp dill, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more for garnish
- In a small stock pan, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Saute celery, onion, potato for 8 minutes. Add garlic, cook 1 min longer.
- Add stock and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender. About 10-12 minutes.
- Pour into blender, add dill and lemon juice. Puree until smooth and always be careful with hot liquids. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with salad, salt and pepper and a heavy drizzle of olive oil.
- Mix together all ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.