Savory egg-free smoked salmon breakfast bowl recipe that can be made ahead of time and assembled right before eating. The perfect hearty yet healthy breakfast.
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I am not a morning person. I like every bit of shut eye I can snag. Which can make a healthy breakfast hard. I rely on green smoothies and pre-prepped low carb breakfasts, like our smoked salmon breakfast bowl! Because they are egg-free there is no waiting. Just heat and go!
It is getting a lot of play this week. We are spending the first week of the new year in Quebec (Mr. Peel and I are celebrating our ten-year anniversary, xoxo). Walking the charming streets, trying to stay warm and doing a bit of skiing. Although in my case, it is mostly falling. When traveling we rely on vacation rentals to ensure we have access to a kitchen. But no blender means no smoothies. So, smoked salmon breakfast bowls it is!
For the salmon, we picked up locally smoked salmon at the Marche du Vieux-Port. Any smoked salmon or gravlax will due, and I have even used leftover baked salmon. I set it out to warm to room temperature while I heat up breakfast
Wild Salmon Vs Farmed Salmon
Fish in the wild eat a natural diet and tend to be slightly lower in saturated fat than farm-raised varieties. Farmed fish can be slightly higher in omega-3 fatty acids, due to the farms’ fortified feed. Additionally, farm-raised fish tend to have a higher instance of disease due to farming conditions. It isn't to say farm-raised salmon is all bad. Just be sure you buy from a reputable source
How to Make a Breakfast Bowl
An egg-free breakfast bowl like this can be prepped at the beginning of the week. But we typically use leftovers from the night before and saute the greens in the morning.
Prep the sweet potatoes: The sweet potato can be baked or cooked on the stovetop If cooking stovetop keep separate from the peppers and onion so the sweet potatoes can crispy up
Saute the onions and peppers: Sauté the onions and peppers separately or together. Once cooled we combine with the rosemary.
Saute the greens: We don’t reinvent the wheel, instead, we rely on our simple greens recipe to wrap things up in 5 to 10 minutes.
Store the veggies in the fridge separately. This will keep the sweet potatoes from getting mushy and the greens from getting overdone when reheated.
Reheat the sweet potatoes and veggies: Again keep the sperate and you can microwave or cook on the stovetop. The smoked salmon can be reheated or served at room temperature, the later is my preference.
Assemble bowls: Your egg-free bows should take just a few minutes to assemble Layer in the sweet potato first, layer in the peppers and onions, add the smoked salmon and top with your sauteed greens.
Voila! A hearty winter approved smoked salmon breakfast bowl. My morning hero! Looking for more ideas? Check our collection of quick and easy breakfast recipes.
Did You Enjoy Making This Recipe? Please rate this recipe with ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ or leave a comment. It helps other wonderful people connect with our food.
Egg- Free Smoked Salmon Breakfast Bowl
- Toss 2 tablespoon melted coconut oil, salt and sweet potatoes.3 tablespoon coconut oil, melted, divided, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, 2 sm sweet potatoes, ½ in cubes with skins on
- Bake sweet potatoes at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until done. Or pan fry on medium until brown and crunchy. Toss with rosemary.2 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- Add remaining coconut oil and bell pepper and cook on medium low until well done. Cool and combine with sweet potatoes.2 bell peppers, any color, diced
- To reheat, add sweet potato- pepper mixture to a large saute pan. Cook over medium heat until well done. We like the potatoes to be a bit crunchy.
- To serve, divide sweet potato- pepper mixture, simple greens and smoked salmon into 4 bowls. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!12-16 oz smoked salmon, flaked, 1 recipe simple greens
- AIP Compliant: Substitute chopped cranberries for the red pepper, no black pepper.
- Link to our simple sauteed greens recipe.