This healthy chocolate avocado smoothie is perfect for breakfast or an on the go lunch. It has a silky smooth texture and a decadent chocolatly flavor. Made with simple ingredients that you probably already have at home, our chocolate smoothie is vegan and paleo. What is not to love?
P.S. If you are not a banana fan we made this one without bananas!
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I love green smoothies packed with spinach and kale. But some days I need a change, and let's be honest not everyone wants to drink a bright green shake.
That is why I wanted to share this chocolate spinach smoothie with you. Made without banana (because I am always out of bananas!), simple ingredients everyone has on hand, and most importantly an over-the-top chocolatey flavor that I can't get enough of.
And being gluten-free and dairy-free, the whole family can enjoy.
I kept this breakfast smoothie simple because while I love all the superfood ingredients I didn't want it to be a recipe that required a special trip to the store.
But I did include optional add-ins if you want to boost the nutrition of your smoothie. All add-ins will make the smoothie thicker so additional milk may be needed.
- Avocado- You will need a ripe, but not bruised avocado for this recipe.
- Cocao Powder- You could also use cacao powder. The difference is that cacao powder is not roasted. Always double check your cocoa powder to ensure no dairy or sugar has been added. I like Anthony's Cocao Powder which is organic and affordable.
- Non-Dairy Milk- I use macadamia nut milk or oat milk. But any dairy or non-dairy milk will work. Just be sure it is unsweetened.
- Spinach - Baby kale works well too. If you are not a fan of green smoothies you can skip the spinach and it will not alter the outcome of the shake.
- Medjool Dates- I use dates to keep it vegan. Or you can add half a banana. I make this smoothie without banana because it is too sweet with the banana and dates. Also, I never have bananas on hand. You can also sub in maple syrup or honey (not vegan) but I find that they can gum up in the smoothie. To avoid this give the milkshake a whirl without the ice to fully incorporate the sweetener.
- Vanilla Extract- Vanilla powder works equally as well.
- Ice Cubes
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- ¼ cup of oats,
- A scoop of vanilla or chocolate protein powder
- 2 tablespoons of almond or peanut butter
Like all smoothie recipes, this recipe comes together in seconds. Simply combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
After about 30 seconds scrap down the sides and blend for an additional 30-60 seconds. You can add more ice or milk to change up the consistency.
You can serve the smoothie immediately or keep tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to one day. Right before serving thrown a few more ice cubes and give it a quick whirl in the blender.
💭 Smoothie Tips
- Not a greens fan? Skip the spinach for a perfectly smooth chocolate avocado milkshake.
- Don't have dates? No worries honey or maple syrup can be substituted. Just mix in before adding the ice to ensure the syrup is well incorporated
- Not sweet enough? Add a pinch of salt and whirl for 30 seconds. Taste again. You can add additional sweeteners but sometimes a bit of salt really highlights the sweetness.
- Want a thinner shake? Add more milk.
- Want a thicker shake? Try adding ¼ cup of oats.
🥤 More Smoothie Recipes
If you liked this healthy chocolate smoothie then you might want to check out some of our other favorite smoothie and drink recipes. The blueberry avocado smoothie is a fan favorite!
Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
- ½ Avocado
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup Non-dairy milk, unsweetened almond, macadamia, oat, etc.
- 1 cup Spinach leaves
- 4 Medjool dates or 2 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract or powder
- 1 cup Ice cubes
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. About 90 seconds.
- Serve immediately or keep tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to one day.