This delightful pumpkin syrup recipe is pancake syrup meets pumpkin spice syrup, but with real pumpkin and no chemicals! While we originally made this syrup for pumpkin pancakes, we have found so many ways to use it. From overnight oats to DIY pumpkin lattes, the possibilities are endless.
It is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan making it an all-around crowd pleaser. We always have a jar of homemade pumpkin syrup on hand during the Fall and Winter months!
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This recipe is a must-have staple for the Fall season. You can skip the fancy pre-spiced syrups from the store, and the drive-through line at Starbucks.
This simple pumpkin recipe whips up in 5 minutes and can be stored in the fridge for 10 to 14 days. If it lasts that long!
It has a delightful creamy texture that you will want to eat with a spoon. You just need a few pantry staples to make it.
🧾Ingredients and Substitutions
- Maple Syrup - Use good quality Grade A 100% maple syrup.
- Pumpkin Puree- We use an equal amount of pumpkin and maple syrup in this recipe. I use organic canned pumpkin puree but fresh works too. If you use canned make sure it is
- Butter- We kept it dairy-free using our go-to vegan butter, Earth Balance. But any non-dairy butter (aka margarine works). If dairy isn't an issue, you can absolutely substitute regular unsalted butter.
- Vanilla- I used a good quality vanilla extract but powdered and paste vanilla work as well.
- Salt- Just a pinch but don't skip. Just like in baking, salt helps highlight the sweet flavors.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice- We provided an easy spice mix but you can use any store-bought or homemade blend you like. The recipes calls for a total of 1 ½ teaspoons total spice mix. You can use as much or as little as you like.
This recipe is extremely simple. Simply warm up all the ingredients in a sauce pan over low heat. Whisk as needed to fully incorporate.
To turn this pumpkin syrup into a pumpkin sauce add 1 teaspoon of potato starch to thicken. This is a great option when you want to serve over ice cream.
💭 How to Use Pumpkin Pie Syrup
In addition to spoon over ice cream and other decadent desserts. Here are few ways to use pumpkin syrup.
This one should be obvious but syrup belongs with pancakes (and waffles). You can make in advance and reheat on the stovetop or for 90 seconds on low heat in the microwave.
We like to top our pumpkin pancakes with chopped pecans or walnuts.
We also think that using this syrup is a heck of lot easier than whipping up pumpkin pancakes.
Pumpkin pie syrup is a fabulous way to spice up overnight oats and regular oatmeal.
You can use the syrup warm or cold for oatmeal. For overnight oats, just stir in when you are making them the day before.
Everyone's favorite pumpkin spice latte! This one is made without coffee for a calming evening drink.
Use ¼ cup syrup to ¾ cup nondairy milk. Warm through and top with coconut whip cream.
To make a pumpkin spice coffee latte use ¼ cup espresso plus ½ cup non-dairy milk.
Looking for more great breakfast recipes? Check out some of our favorites!
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp nondairy vegan butter can sub regular butter
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp clove
- Combine all the ingredients in a small pan over low heat. Whisk and stir until warmed through.
- Serve as desired.
- You can use your own pumpkin pie blend, just shy of 1 ½ teaspoons total.
- Store syrup in a tightly sealed jar in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- To make a pumpkin coffee latte pour ¼ cup hot espresso into a mug. Combine ¼ cup pumpkin and ½ cup nondairy milk. Warm on the stovetop or in the microwave. pour into glass and top with whip cream.
- To make a pumpkin latte without coffee - ¾ cup nondairy milk plus ¼ cup pumpkin syrup. Warm on the stovetop or in the microwave. pour into glass and top with whip cream.