Looking for a gluten-free corn casserole recipe that is easy to make and tastes delicious? Look no further! This corn pudding is made with fresh ingredients and can be whipped up in no time. It's perfect for a Thanksgiving feast or any other special occasion. Best of all, it's gluten-free so everyone can enjoy it!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
Corn casserole is popular around large holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. But I always grew up eating it at potlucks and BBQ. I absolutely love it with grilled BBQ chicken thighs or smoked BBQ ribs!
People think that Jiffy Cornbread mix is gluten-free. Sadly, it is not. But that doesn't mean you can't make a delicious gluten-free corn pudding from scratch.
Why This Recipe Works
This cornbread casserole pudding has less than 10 minutes of hands-on time. And it can easily be made in advance.
You can make this gluten-free corn casserole with either fresh or frozen corn. I prefer to use fresh corn when it's in season. But frozen corn works just as well and is a great option for the rest of the year.
For the creamed corn you can use canned or creamed corn from scratch. Using our creamed corn recipe is highly recommended as it will give you an extra creamy texture that is out of this world.
This recipe uses basic ingredients and pantry staples for a no-fuss gluten-free side dish.
Be sure to use cornmeal, not corn flour. Corn flour is gluten-free but it has a different texture and will not work in this recipe. Cornmeal has a coarse texture which gives structure to the casserole.
For the flour blend, be sure that yours contain xanthan gum. If not, you will need to a ¼ teaspoon of xanthan gum to the recipe.
Our recipe has a slightly sweet flavor. If you would like a less sweet corn casserole, reduce the sugar or omit it completely. For a sweeter version, increase to ¼ cup.
See the recipe card for exact quantities.
⏲️How to Make Gluten-Free Corn Casserole
If using creamed corn from scratch be sure to cool it slightly before starting this recipe. It can be warm but not hot, we don't want to scramble the eggs.
Step 1- Pre Heat and Prep
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x18 inch baking dish with butter and set aside.
Melt your butter in a small pan and set aside to cool. Like the creamed corn, it can be warm but not hot.
Step 2- Whisk Wet Ingredients
In a large bowl whisk together the cooled melted butter, sour cream, and eggs.
Step 3- Combine
Add in the cornmeal, gluten-free flour blend, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper to the wet ingredients. Stir until well combined.
Add the chives, creamed corn, and whole corn kernels. Stir until everything is well combined.
Step 4- Bake
Pour the corn casserole into the greased baking dish. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the casserole.
Allow the casserole to cool slightly before serving. Top with additional chives and enjoy!
🥗What to Serve with Corn Casserole
As I mentioned I love this with BBQ. Complimentary side dishes include our spicy avocado coleslaw and our garlic and tomato salad.
👩🏻🍳 Expert Tip
If you want an extra crispy top, place the corn casserole under the broiler for a minute or two. Keep a close eye on it as gluten-free cornmeal can burn quickly.
- Replace the chives with fresh thyme, rosemary, or parsley.
- Add a cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the recipe.
- Try using black beans and diced bell pepper in place of corn for a gluten-free and vegetarian dinner casserole.
- Add chopped jalapenos for additional heat.
🌡️Making in Advance
This gluten-free corn casserole recipe can be made ahead of time. Assemble the casserole according to instructions, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
When ready to bake, remove from fridge and let sit at room temperature for 30-60 minutes before baking as directed.
Leftover corn casserole can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to four days. To reheat, place a slice on a plate and microwave for 60-90 seconds or until heated through.
💬Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, cornmeal is naturally gluten-free. However, some brands of cornmeal may have been cross containment with gluten due to shared production lines. Always use certified GF cornmeal to be safe.
Canned creamed corn varies by brand on whether or not it is gluten-free. Many are made with modified starches, some corn, and others are wheat-based. When in doubt making it from scratch is best.
No, Jiffy cornbread mix is not gluten-free. The mix contains wheat flour as one of the main ingredients.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave us a rating or a comment. It helps other wonderful people connect with our food.
Gluten-Free Corn Casserole with Chives
- 3 cups corn kernels fresh, canned or frozen
- 2 cups creamed corn 1-15oz can
- ½ cup unsalted butter plus more for greasing the pan
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup gluten free flour blend see notes
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar see note
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh chives chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Grease a 9X13 baking dish with butter.
- Melt butter in a small pan and allow it to cool.½ cup unsalted butter
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the cooled butter, eggs and sour cream. Add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, pepper, and baking powder. Stir in the chives, creamed corn and corn kernals. If using canned corn, be sure to drain it.3 cups corn kernels, 2 cups creamed corn, ½ cup unsalted butter, 1 cup sour cream, 3 large eggs, ¾ cup yellow cornmeal, ½ cup gluten free flour blend, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, ¼ cup fresh chives
- Pour into your greased baking dish. Bake uncovered for 45 to 55 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the center is set. Turn halfway through baking.
- Cools for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with additional chives.