A simple and healthy turkey kale soup that is loaded with fresh herbs. This ground turkey soup recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free. Plus it whips up in a snap, making this one-pot meal ideal for busy weeknights or as a meal prep lunch plan.
It is chock-full of colorful veggies, bone broth, delicious fresh oregano, and of course, a healthy dose of kale.
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
📖Why This Recipe Works
The key flavor in this soup is a big pack of fresh oregano. I originally made this soup a few years ago when I was harvesting the herbs in our garden.
The oregano plants were enormous and I was going to have more dried than I would ever need. I was making a big pot of vegetable soup while I was tying up the herbs so I threw a huge pile of oregano into the broth. I never really used fresh oregano except as a supporting herb in a roast chicken. Wow. I was missing out!
Why are we not using fresh oregano more? It is outstanding! I also use it in my cherry tomato salad recipe, this authentic chimichurri recipe, and the best lemon roasted potatoes you will ever eat!
Additionally, this quick dinner recipe is a lighter alternative to traditional chicken soup. However, the recipe is flexible and I encourage you to play around with it. You will find that the ingredient list is very versatile.
This simple soup is loaded with veggies, you can be creative and add in whatever you have on hand. The key ingredients are obviously lean ground turkey and kale are the key ingredients.
Ground Turkey- Light or dark meat both work in this recipe. You can substitute shredded or ground chicken as well. And leftover turkey makes a great substitute as well.
Kale- This recipe requires hearty greens like swiss chard, shaved brussels sprouts, or napa cabbage.
You will also need:
- Onion- I typically use white or yellow but leeks make for an elevated substitute.
- Tomato- You can use diced fresh tomatoes or canned. Both work about the same in this recipe.
- Fresh Garlic
- Chicken Stock- You can use your own homemade chicken broth or store-bought stock. Or even use your own homemade turkey stock.
- Oregano- The star of the show. If you can't find fresh oregano you can substitute fresh parsley.
- Seasonings- Kosher salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (optional)
⏲️How to Make Turkey Kale Soup
Let's get started with this delicious soup.
Step 1- Saute
In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil, or use coconut oil, over medium heat. Add the chopped onions, celery, and carrots to get things started.
We want the carrots to soften a bit and the onions to caramelize. About 10 minutes. Add the garlic for s quick saute.
Step 2- Brown the Turkey
Add the ground turkey to the veggies. Use a spoon or spatula to break it up into small chunks as it browns. Cook for about 8 minutes, you do not need to drain off any turkey fat.
If you are using leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, you can add the turkey along with the next step.
Step 3- Simmer
Then add the chicken stock, pepper and red chile flakes (if using), and tomatoes. If using canned tomatoes there is no need to drain them. Give the soup a stir and bring the hearty soup to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer and add your chopped kale and oregano, cook an additional 10 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
Garnish with parmesan cheese, more fresh herbs, and a piece of crusty bread.
🥗What to Serve with Turkey Kale Soup
For an easy dinner pair it with a salad or sandwich, like our roasted veggie sandwich. I also enjoy this hearty meal with a gluten-free crescent roll, an easy GF flatbread, or a gluten-free zucchini muffin.
👩🏻🍳 Expert Tips
If making in advance, add the kale when reheating rather than when you initially make the soup.
While this is a low-carb comfort food soup. Meaning I prefer this soup without rice or noodles. However, when I want to beef it up I add a can of white beans such as navy beans or cannellini beans.
You can also add 2 cups of cooked rice or 2 cups of gluten-free pasta, pre cooked.
Leftover soup should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge, for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stovetop or the microwave.
If you’re making a big batch for freezing, add the kale and fresh oregano when you heat it up. Kale and my freezer don’t seem to be friends.
🥣More Soup Recipes
I hoped you enjoyed our soul-warming turkey kale soup recipe. Here are a few more delicious gluten-free soup recipes that make great lunches or one-pot dinners. Happy slurping!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave us a rating or a comment. It helps other wonderful people connect with our food.
Turkey Kale Soup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil, melted
- 1 large white onion diced
- 4 celery stalks diced
- 4 carrots diced or cut into rounds
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 4 cup kale roughly chopped
- ¾ oz pkg fresh oregano chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat2 tablespoon olive oil
- Add onions, celery and carrots. Cook until softened, 8-10 minutes.1 large white onion, 4 celery stalks, 4 carrots
- Add garlic and turkey, 7 minutes or until turkey is browned. Use a fork or large spoon to break the turkey into pieces.2 cloves garlic, 1 pound ground turkey
- Add broth and tomatoes, bring to a boil.8 cups chicken stock, 1 cup diced tomatoes, ½ teaspoon black pepper, ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Add kale and oregano, cook 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.4 cup kale, ¾ oz pkg fresh oregano
- If using leftover Thanksgiving turkey add the tomatoes and broth at the same time. Cook until turkey is warmed through.
- Both fresh and canned tomatoes work equally well.
- If you can't find fresh oregano, substitute parsley.
Now that's one hearty soup! And easy to make, too! Thank you for sharing.
Love the use of rainbow carrots that gives the soup a rustic look!! Will try it out with the fresh oregano!!
I loved it! So comforting and easy to make!
Thank you for leaving a review!
This looks so delicious and tasty! My husband and I are going to love this recipe! Can't wait to give this a try!
I love that this is a lighter alternative especially after eating so heavy during the holidays. Looks amazing!
Agreed. All the comforts of home without all the carbs.