Overnight oats are great but these superfood oats are better. They pack a nutritional punch! And you just add water. How easy can that get?
We find we are always out of an ingredient- usually the milk or nut-milks required to make them. So I developed a recipe for meal prepping my overnight oats- just this time with some extra nutrition.
We have added chia seeds, hemp hearts, flax seed and maca powder to make this high in protein and fiber for a filling and nutritious breakfast.
I make a large batch- at least 8 servings- and the recipe uses coconut milk powder instead of milk. I did this to make the recipe shelf-stable for meal preppers while ensuring the final product is still creamy and delicious.
If you are avoiding coconut but eat dairy then regular milk powder works fine as well.
There is a lot to talk about when it comes to overnight oats and instant vs. regular. But we covered all that and more in our everything about overnight oats post.
In that post, we also review our 3 other instant overnight oat blends. These are definitely worth checking out if you want to try something new! Just like our protein oats, these just require water.
How to Make Single Serving Superfood Oats
We get it, not everyone is into meal prepping. If you just want to make one single serving of oats combine the below ingredients and store in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 1/2 cup old-fashion oats, gluten-free
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp Coconut milk powder, or Nido milk powder
- 1 Tbsp Flaxseed, ground
- 1 tsp coconut sugar, optional
- 1 tsp Hemp Heart
- 1 tsp Maca Powder (gelatinized)
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup water
If you don't have dry milk powder substitute the powder and water for 3/4 c milk, regular or non-dairy.
Add your favorite toppings! Need ideas? Check out favorite flavors of overnight oats.
Superfood Overnight Oats
- Mason jar or bowls with tight fitting lids
- 8 cups old fashion oats certified gluten-free if needed
- 2 cups chia seeds
- 1 cup flax seed, ground
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar*
- 3 tbsp maca powder, gelantenized
- 3 tbsp hemp hearts, hulled
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Prepare Dry Mix
- Mix together all dry ingredients. Store in an airtight container until use.
Prepare Overnight Oats
- Combine 1/2 cup of the instant overnight oats mix with 3/4 cup water in a bowl or jar. Cover and store in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.