We love the overnight oats craze. However, I was looking for something low carb & easy to prep. But I was always out of an ingredient- usually, the milk or nut-milks required to make them. So I developed a recipe for meal prepping my oatmeal that just requires water!
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I make a large batch- at least 8 servings- and the recipe uses coconut milk powder instead of milk. I did this to make the recipe shelf-stable for meal preppers while ensuring the final product is still creamy and delicious.
If you are avoiding coconut but eat dairy then regular milk powder works fine as well.
There is a lot to talk about when it comes to overnight oats and instant vs. regular. But we covered all that and more in our everything about overnight oats post.
In that post, we also review our 3 other instant overnight oat blends. But let's be honest- you are just here for the grain-free- am I right? These are definitely worth checking out if you want to try something new!
And just because we are friends... check out our other grain free quick breakfast Mango Chia Seed pudding!
How to Make Single Serving Instant "NOatmeal"
We get it, not everyone is into meal prepping. If you just want to make one single serving of "no"atmeal combine the below ingredients and store in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 2 tablespoon chia
- 2 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoon slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon Coconut milk powder, or Nido milk powder
- 1 tablespoon Hemp Heart
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar, optional
- 1 teaspoon Flaxseed, ground
- 1 teaspoon Maca Powder (gelatinized)
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ C water
If you don't have dry milk powder, substitute the powder and water for ¾ c milk, regular or non-dairy.
So what mix ins make the best overnight oats?
Our Favorite Overnight "Oats" Flavors
There is no shortage of great ideas for overnight oats. We put together a list of favorite top 10 flavors.
Note: quantities are for one serving of grain-free oats
- Chunky Monkey- ½ banana sliced, 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts, and 1 tablespoon Enjoy Life vegan chocolate chips
- Mexican Chocolate- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, pinch of cayenne (if you dare!)
- Mixed Berry- ⅓ cup each of sliced strawberries and blueberries, ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pumpkin Pie- ⅓ cup of pureed pumpkin (I use canned but fresh works), ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pina Colada- ½ cup diced pineapple, 1 tablespoon shredded coconut, ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract (I really like this version for the grain-free)
- Peanut Butter and Jelly- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (or sub almond butter) and 2 tablespoons of your favorite jam (we like strawberry)
- Fall Harvest- ⅓ cup sliced apple, ¼ cup dried cranberries, 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Carrot Cake- ¼ cup shredded carrots, 1 tablespoon chopped pecans, 1 tablespoon raisins, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Blueberry Cardamom- ½ cup fresh blueberries, 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, pinch of lemon zest (optional but really good!)
- Cherry Almond- ⅓ cup dried cherries (or ½ dried cherries, halved), ¼ teaspoon vanilla, 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
Flavor combinations are endless. Tell us in the comments what are your favorite flavors of overnight oats?
Please leave us a comment and let us know how this recipe worked for you. Don't forget to share your creation on Instagram. Tagging us @peelwithzeal or #peelwithzeal
Grain- Free Overnight "Oats"
Prepare Dry Mix
- Mix together all dry ingredients. Store in an airtight container until use.
Prepare Overnight Oats
- Combine ½ cup of the instant overnight oats mix with ¾ cup water in a bowl or jar. Cover and store in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.