A winter salad recipe that is bursting with flavor. Mixed greens, roasted beets, healthy avocado, and refreshing grapefruit. Everything you could want in a healthy winter salad.
I love salads. In the summer, I walk around the farmers market brimming with salad ideas. Winter, not so much. Sad greens, flavorless tomatoes, blah. We deserve something more, like this refreshing winter salad with beets, avocadoss and grapefruit. It is packed with flavor and color.
I am obsessed with bright, colorful winter foods. Gloomy days are no reason to eat weird looking brown things. Pinks, reds, greens, yellows… yes, please! A drizzle of olive oil and balsamic is all you need!
But really, colorful foods play a huge part of a healthy diet. Yes, a feast for your eyes makes it easier to make good choices.
But deep purple foods, like beets, contain betalain and anthocyanins. Winter leafy greens like kale and radicchio are high in vitamins A and K, as well as calcium. I don’t have to tell you about all the healthy fats in avocados. And grapefruit at the peak of the season is loaded with vitamin C.
But who cares? It is just so lovely to look at! And eat!
How to Make a Winter Salad
I prefer to serve this on a platter so you can get a full view of the beets, grapefruit slices and avocado. Which is why it’s perfect for a Gal-entine’s Day brunch buffet. You simply arrange the ingredients on a platter and drizzle with the oil and balsamic. No mixing up a dressing, total time saver.
Extra credit if you make the beets from scratch but in the Peel house we prioritize staying healthy over prep work. We use Love Beets to take make quick work of this recipe. I feel the same way about roasting and peeling beets as I do about ricing cauliflower.
To segment the grapefruit, trim off the top and bottom and trim the sides. After that you should be able to cut out the segments in a minute or so, just like this.
Serving Tip: Reserve the juice that comes from the grapefruit when you slice it. Tossing the avocados in it will keep them from browning.
Refreshing Winter Salad with Beets, Grapefruit and Avocado
- 3 c baby kale
- 1 sm head radicchio, leaves torn
- 2 med whole roasted beets, sliced
- 1 grapefruit, segmented reserve juice
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced tossed in grapefruit juice
- 1 c microgreens option, for garnish
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- flaked or finishing salt and pepper, to taste
- Arrange all ingredients on a platter. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic. Finish with a high quality salt and fresh black pepper.
- If the grapefruit does not give off enough extra juice to coat the avocado you can substitute lemon or lime juice.
- AIP complaint: Omit black pepper.