A winter salad recipe that is bursting with flavor. Mixed greens, roasted beets, healthy avocado, and refreshing grapefruit. Everything you could want in a healthy winter salad. Perfect as a light lunch or weekend brunch.
The Peel house loves salads. In the summer, I walk around the farmers market brimming with salad ideas. Winter, not so much. Sad greens, flavorless tomatoes, blah. We deserve something more, like this refreshing winter salad with beets, avocadoss and grapefruit. It is packed with flavor and color.
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I am obsessed with bright, colorful winter foods. Gloomy days are no reason to eat weird looking brown things. Pinks, reds, greens, yellows… yes, please! A drizzle of olive oil and balsamic is all you need!
Really, colorful foods play a huge part of a healthy diet. Yes, a feast for your eyes makes it easier to make good choices. That is why we loaded this beet salad with all the colors of the rainbow.
- Baby Kale- You want small light leaves.
- Radicchio- A fun purple lettuce that doesn't get nearly enough love.
- Whole Roasted Beets- This is a great way to use up leftover beets.
- Grapefruit- Any variety of grapefruit works but we love pink grapefruit in this recipe.
- Microgreens- Optional, but we love a few pretty microgreens.
- Dressing- Just kidding, no dressing here. We just use a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. What something more substantial? Try our poppy seed dressing.
- Salt & Black Pepper
Deep purple foods, like beets, contain betalain and anthocyanins. Winter leafy greens like kale and radicchio are high in vitamins A and K, as well as calcium.
I don’t have to tell you about all the healthy fats in avocados. And grapefruit at the peak of the season is loaded with vitamin C.
This salad is a great dose of vitamins in the middle of winter!
I prefer to serve this on a platter so you can get a full view of the beets, grapefruit slices, and avocado. Which is why it’s perfect for a Gal-entine’s Day brunch buffet.
You simply arrange the ingredients on a platter and drizzle with the oil and balsamic. No mixing up a dressing, total time saver.
🥬Tips and Tricks
- Extra credit if you make the beets from scratch but in the Peel house we prioritize staying healthy over prep work. We use Love Beets to take make quick work of this recipe.
- To segment out the grapefruit, trim off the top and bottom and trim the sides. After that, you should be able to cut out the segments in a minute or so.
- Reserve the juice that comes from the grapefruit when you slice it. Tossing the avocados in it will keep them from browning.
We love healthy salad for lunches and weekend brunch. Here are a few more salads that we love!
Winter Salad with Beets, Grapefruit and Avocado
- Arrange the kale, radicchio, grapefruit, and beets on a platter.
- Toss the avocado in the grapefruit juice. Add to the platter.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic. Finish with a high quality salt and fresh black pepper. Add micro greens, if using.
- If the grapefruit does not give off enough extra juice to coat the avocado you can substitute lemon or lime juice.