A colorful and tasty curried cauliflower steak recipe. Simple to make on the grill or roasted in the oven. These charred cauliflower steaks are the perfect vegetarian weeknight dinner, ready to eat in under 30 minutes!
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I love summer because we grill almost every night. I like to say it is because I adore dishes like these awesome charred cauliflower steaks with curry sauce. Which is true….
But I also hate to do dishes. So, a simple vegetarian meal like cauliflower steaks served with a green salad is right up my alley. You are going to be making it all summer long.
And all winter because these charred cauli steaks are just as easy to make in the oven. Oh and did we mention this recipe can be made vegan too?
The curry sauce gives the cauliflower steaks a seriously needed tang! I got the inspiration for the curried chicken salad at Whole Foods. I am not a huge raisin fan but I love the combination of curry, raisins and almonds.
Chicken, cauliflower, it doesn’t matter. It is all good in our house. But as you know I am seriously addicted to cauliflower recipes. And the crazier the color the happier I am. We are eating the rainbow and feeling great.
How to Make Charred Cauliflower Steaks with Curry Sauce
Super simple instructions but the most important thing is that the sauce and garnishes can easily be made while the steaks are cooking.
Prepare the Cauliflower Steaks- Carefully remove green leaves from the cauliflower, leaving the core intact. Using a large knife, cut the heads into ¾ to 1 inch thick steaks. Brush both sides of the steaks with oil, and season generously with salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
Any loose cauliflower pieces can be cooked in a grill pan alongside the steaks.
Note: You can use any type/ color of cauliflower. I like to use orange and purple to make the meal more vibrant.
Grill The Vegetarian Steaks- Preheat the grill to 400 degrees. Unlike with beef steaks, you don't want the super hot. The purpose here is to char the outside will roasting the cauliflower until it is fork-tender. This typically takes about 8 minutes per side which gives plenty of time to make the sauce and sides dishes.
Make the Curry Sauce-For the sauce, blend all the ingredients until smooth. We included both vegan and vegetarian options in the recipe card below. We use a touch of honey and garlic but a great substitution is a Fermented Garlic Honey.
How to Make Vegan Cauliflower Steaks-To make this recipe vegan we suggest substituting an equal amount of coconut sugar. I am not a fan of substituting maple syrup in this recipe. The maple flavor competes with the curry. For the mayo you can use any vegan mayo, but I actually prefer an unsweetened cashew yogurt with a squeeze of lemon.
How Oven Roast Cauliflower Steaks- Start by preheating the oven to 425 F degrees. Place cauliflower steaks on a baking sheet and brush with oil. Cook the cauliflower 8-10 minutes per side until tender. Turn on broiler and char the tops of the steaks, about 3-5 minutes.
How to Serve Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
I prefer to serve cauliflower steaks family-style by arranging on a platter, drizzling on the curry sauce, and artfully arrange the toppings (almonds, raisins, and parsley). Or if you can wait, throw it all on the plate and dig in. We promise you are going to love this recipe for charred cauliflower steaks with curry dressing. Nom nom nom.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave us a rating or a comment. It helps other wonderful people connect with our food.
Charred Cauliflower Steaks with Curry Sauce
- Grill or sheet pan & oven
- ⅓ c raisins
- ⅓ c sliced almonds
- ¼ c fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat grill to medium heat, roughly 400 degrees.
- Remove green leaves from cauliflower, leaving the core intact. Using a large knife, cut the heads into ¾ to 1 inch thick steaks. Brush both sides of the steaks with oil, salt and pepper to preference.
- Place cauliflower steaks on grill. Grill for 8 minutes per side until tender and charred.
- Serve cauliflower steaks on a platter and drizzle with curry sauce and garnish with raisins, almonds and parsley.
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and whip until smooth. For a thinner dressing add 1 tablespoon of warm water. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- We prefer 1 tablespoon of curry powder but many people find this overpowering. Start with 2 teaspoon and add more to your liking.
- If any florets come apart they can be cooked in a grill pan alongside the steaks.
- When making this vegan we opt for cashew yogurt in place of mayo and a pinch of coconut sugar rather than honey.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place cauliflower steaks on baking sheet. Cook 8-10 minutes per side.
- When just tender, turn on broiler and char the tops of the steaks.