A colorful and tasty curried cauliflower steak recipe. Simple to make on the grill or roasted in the oven. These cauliflower steaks are the perfect vegetarian weeknight dinner, ready to eat in under 30 minutes!
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I love summer because we grill almost every night. I like to say it is because I adore dishes like these awesome charred cauliflower steaks with curry sauce. This is true….But I also hate to do dishes.
So, a simple vegetarian meal like cauliflower steaks served with a green salad is right up my alley. You are going to be making it all summer long.
And all winter because these roasted cauliflower steaks are just as easy to make in the oven. And I serve with a side of lemony swiss chard.
What Is Cauliflower Steak?
Cauliflower steak is simply cauliflower that is cut into thick slices, then grilled or roasted. It's served as a main dish and designed to emulate a classic steak dinner but for a vegetarian or vegan diet.
While I won't claim that cauliflower steak tastes just like steak, it is undeniably delicious!
📖Why You'll Love This Cauliflower Steak Recipe
- Simple ingredients. Just cauliflower, oil, salt, and pepper, and a 6-ingredient sauce. It doesn't get simpler than this recipe!
- Great for winter or summer. Cook your plant-based "steak" on a grill for the summer or roast them in the oven when it's cold out. You can enjoy this tasty main dish all year long.
- Delicious curry sauce. The curry sauce is the exact flavor these cauliflower steaks need. Trust me. It's so tasty!
The curry sauce gives the cauliflower steaks a seriously needed tang! I got the inspiration for the curried chicken salad at Whole Foods. I am not a huge raisin fan but I love the combination of curry, raisins, and almonds.
Cauliflower Heads - You can use any type or color of cauliflower. I like to use orange and purple to make the meal more vibrant.
Oil - I use coconut oil for this recipe, but you can use another high-heat oil such as avocado oil if preferred. Olive oil will work too if that's what you have on hand.
Curry Dressing - We're making a super simple, super flavorful dressing made with mayonnaise, curry powder, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper. This is a great place to use up some of your fermented honey!
Toppings - I like to garnish these cauliflower steaks with raisins, sliced almonds, and fresh parsley.
Mayonnaise - You can use regular mayonnaise or vegan mayo.
⏲️How to Make Cauliflower Steaks
These tasty cauliflower steaks are super simple to make! And the best part? You can make the sauce and prep the garnishes while the steaks are cooking.
Step 1: How to Cut Cauliflower Steaks
Carefully remove the green outer leaves from the cauliflower, leaving the core intact. Using a large knife, cut the heads into ¾ to 1-inch thick steaks. Brush both sides of the steaks with oil, and season generously with salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
If you have any small pieces save them for cauliflower rice pilaf.
Step 2: How to Grill Cauliflower Steaks
Preheat the grill to 400 degrees. Unlike beef steaks, you don't want the super hot. The purpose here is to char the outside while roasting the cauliflower until it is fork-tender. This typically takes about 8 minutes per side which gives plenty of time to make the sauce and side dishes.
How to Oven-Roast Cauliflower Steak
Looking for different ways to cook your cauliflower? This recipe works great in the oven too!
Start by preheating the oven to 425ºF. Place the cauliflower steaks on a baking tray, brush with oil, then cook for 8-10 minutes per side, until the cauliflower is nice and fork tender. Once they're cooked, turn the broiler on and char the tops of the steaks for about 3-5 minutes or until the outer edge is golden brown.
Step 3: Cauliflower Steak Sauce
For the sauce, add all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. We included both vegan and vegetarian options in the recipe card below. We use a touch of honey and garlic but a great substitution is Fermented Garlic Honey.
This curry dressing is more sweet than spicy. If you want a kick of heat, try adding a sprinkle of red pepper flakes to the blender too!
How to Make Vegan Cauliflower Steaks
To make this recipe vegan, we suggest substituting an equal amount of coconut sugar for the honey. I am not a fan of substituting maple syrup in this recipe. I find that the maple flavor competes with the curry.
For the mayo, you can use any vegan mayo, but I actually prefer to use an unsweetened cashew yogurt with a squeeze of lemon juice!
🥗What to Serve with Cauliflower Steaks
I prefer to serve cauliflower steaks family-style by arranging them on a serving platter, drizzling on the curry sauce, and artfully arranging the toppings (almonds, raisins, and parsley). If you can't wait, throw it all on the plate and dig in.
And of course, you can't go wrong with a couple of classic side dishes to round out your meal! Here are a few ideas:
- Indian Spiced Green Beans
- Strawberry and Cucumber Salad
- Lentil Tabbouleh Salad
- Boursin Mashed Potatoes
- Gluten-Free Garlic Bread
👩🏻🍳 Expert Tip
Don't forget to save the broken florets! Inevitably, some of the cauliflower will break off as you slice the steaks. Save those pieces! The leftover cauliflower florets can be cooked in a grill pan right alongside the steaks.
Leftover cauliflower steaks can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, warm either on the stove or in the oven until heated through. I don't recommend warming the steaks in the microwave or the texture will be mushy.
More Vegetarian Dinner Recipes
💭 Frequently Asked Questions
Because cauliflower steak is designed to mimic traditional steak. They're cut in the shape of a piece of steak and charred on the grill.
These cauliflower steaks are a great way for vegetarians and vegans to enjoy a classic "steak" dinner! And even meat eaters will love them!
It's pretty much unavoidable that some pieces of cauliflower fall off the cauliflower head as you slice.
However, I find the best way to cut the cauliflower is to cut the bottom stem end off first so there is a flat base on one side of the cauliflower head.
Place it flats side down on a cutting board. I slice the head in half from top to bottom first, then in thick slices (also from top to bottom) until the whole head is cut.
There may be a couple of reasons your cauliflower seems mushy. Here are some tips to achieve the best texture!
Don't use too much oil. An excessive amount of oil can result in a soggier texture. Use just enough to coat the cauliflower, but not so much that the cauliflower is drowning in it.
Give them room. Make sure each cauliflower steak has room to breathe on the grill. Or, if you're roasting them in the oven, place them in a single layer on the baking sheet. If they're touching, they will steam rather than roast.
Let them char.
This will happen naturally on the grill, but if you're roasting these steaks in the oven, you will need to broil them for a few minutes after they cook. This gives them that crispy, charred exterior.
Did You Enjoy Making This Recipe? Please rate this recipe with ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ or leave a comment. It helps other wonderful people connect with our food.
Cauliflower Steaks (Grilled or Oven Roasted)
- Grill or sheet pan & oven
- ⅓ cup raisins
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Remove green leaves from cauliflower, leaving the core intact. Using a large knife, cut the heads into ¾ to 1 inch thick steaks. Brush both sides of the steaks with oil, salt and pepper to preference.1 head cauliflower, 3 Tablespoons coconut oil (melted), kosher salt and pepper, ⅓ cup mayonnaise
Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
- Preheat grill to medium heat, roughly 400 degrees.
- Place cauliflower steaks on the grill. Grill for 8 minutes per side until tender and charred.
Oven-Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place cauliflower steaks on a baking sheet. Cook 8-10 minutes per side. When just tender, turn on the broiler and char the tops of the steaks.
Curry Sauce and Serving
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and whip until smooth. For a thinner dressing add 1 tablespoon of warm water. Season to taste with salt and pepper.2 teaspoon3 curry powder, 1 teaspoon raw honey, 1 clove garlic, pinch kosher salt, pinch black pepper
- Serve cauliflower steaks on a platter and drizzle with curry sauce and garnish with raisins, almonds, and parsley.⅓ cup raisins, ⅓ cup sliced almonds, ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- We prefer 1 tablespoon of curry powder but many people find this overpowering. Start with 2 teaspoon and add more to your liking.
- If any florets come apart they can be cooked in a grill pan alongside the steaks.
- When making this vegan we opt for cashew yogurt in place of mayo and a pinch of coconut sugar rather than honey.