Duck fat popcorn is the ultimate make at home stovetop popcorn. This recipe uses store-bought or leftover duck fat to make the most decadent, yet healthy, popcorn snack.
We have included two of our favorite popcorn flavors too. A sweet and spicy buffalo wing popcorn and a savory rosemary truffle popcorn. Delicious!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Who doesn't love a movie night at home? And movie night needs popcorn, not just any popcorn. DUCK FAT POPCORN!
This may seem like a special occasion popcorn but once you try it... ohh it is every day, game day, holiday... good popcorn.
I think it pairs well with a tall glass of cold hard cider.
And it is the perfect way to use leftover duck fat.
Homemade stovetop popcorn is easy to make and doesn't require any special equipment. You just need a heavy bottom pan with a lid and a few simple ingredients.
Duck fat- We save the duck fat from when we cook duck at home. But all major grocery chains carry it. Not into duck fat? You can use this recipe, and its variations, with olive oil.
Popping corn- I prefer organic popcorn but any popping corn will due. With the organic, I feel like I get better results and fewer dud pieces. I usually buy at Trader Joes or online.
Salt- A good quality kosher salt or a finishing salt like a pink Himalayan salt if you are feeling fancy.
Butter- OPTIONAL- when using duck fat for your popcorn it will already have a wonderful buttery taste. You can add more but it isn't necessary unless you want that heavenly movie theatre butter taste. No judgment here!
💭Is Duck Fat Healthy?
Duck fat is generally less processed than other forms of cooking oil with nearly 51% monounsaturated fat and 36% saturated fat. Because of its high proportion of monounsaturated and saturated fats, duck fat remains stable during cooking.
Monounsaturated fat can help reduce your low-density lipoprotein, or unhealthy cholesterol, levels and improve your overall cardiovascular health. (source)
⏲️How to Make Duck Fat Popcorn
Stovetop popcorn is easier than you think! The key is to heat your oil or fat to the right temperature. We do this by sacrificing a few "test" kernels to the popcorn gods.
In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, add your duck fat and a few corn kernels over medium heat. Cover the pot and wait for the "test" kernels to pop.
When all the test kernels have popped, add the remaining popping corn and a pinch of salt to the pan. Cover and gently shake the pan to distribute the kernels.
Once the kernels start popping, tip the lid just a touch to allow steam to escape. See the photo in the recipe card if I am confusing you.
Continue to gently shake the pan over medium heat until popping sounds are spaced a few seconds apart.
Remove from heat and take off the lid. Pour into your serving bowl ASAP to prevent soggy kernels. Sprinkle remaining salt onto popped corn and stir.
Note: The pot shown in the photos only holds a half recipe. Use a bigger pan for the full recipe. What can I say? There are only two of us and we can only eat so much popcorn in one sitting!
🍿 Savory Popcorn Variations
We included our two favorite versions of this popcorn, but you can use duck fat popcorn just like any stovetop popcorn meaning the possibilities are endless!
Elegant, savory, and decadent this is my go-to popcorn for Oscar night. You need butter and truffle salt or truffle oil plus freshly grated parmesan cheese, fresh herbs (like rosemary or parsley), and pepper.
Pop the popcorn according to the directions above. Transfer the warm popcorn to a large bowl, and add the butter and truffle salt. Toss well to coat the popcorn.
Sprinkle on the parmesan cheese, herbs, and a few cracks of fresh black pepper.
To make this rosemary truffle popcorn dairy-free, substitute dairy-free butter and nutritional yeast for the cheese. You will need just a few shakes!
Spicy Buffalo Wing
Spicy, sweet, and all-around crowd-pleasing buffalo wing popcorn is perfect for game days. You need paprika, salt, sugar, wing sauce, and butter. You can use regular or dairy-free/ vegan butter. Extra cayenne is optional.
Pop the popcorn according to the directions above. While the corn is popping mix together the paprika, cayenne, and salt.
In a separate small bowl, mix together the sugar, wing sauce, and melted butter. Pour the wing sauce mixture over the popcorn.
Carefully toss to coat. Sprinkle the dry spice mixture over the popcorn and stir to coat evenly. Enjoy!
You could also sprinkle on a little of our Cajun seasoning!
Looking for more healthy snack ideas? We have a few that we think you might like! From movie night to game day, these are the best healthy gluten (and mostly dairy) free snacks around.
Did You Enjoy Making This Recipe? Please rate this recipe with ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ or leave a comment. It helps other wonderful people connect with my food.
📖 Printable Recipe Card
Duck Fat Popcorn
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, add the duck fat and four corn kernels over medium heat. Cover the pot and wait for the "test" kernels to pop.3 Tablespoons duck fat
- When all four kernels have popped, add the remaining popping corn and a pinch of salt to the pan. Cover and gently shake the pan to distribute the kernels.¾ cup popping corn
- Once the kernels start popping, tip the lid just a touch to allow steam to escape. Continue to gently shake the pan over medium heat until popping sounds are spaced a few seconds apart.
- Remove from heat and take off the lid. Pour into your serving bowl. Sprinkle remaining salt onto popped corn and stir.kosher salt
- Transfer the warm popcorn to a large bowl and add the butter and truffle salt. Toss well to coat the popcorn. Add the parmesan, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Toss well.1 ½ Tablespoons butter, ½ teaspoon truffle salt, ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, black pepper
Spicy Buffalo Wing
- In a small bowl, mix together the paprika, cayenne, and salt. In a separate small bowl, mix together the sugar, wing sauce, and melted butter. Pour the wing sauce mixture over the popcorn. Carefully toss to coat. Sprinkle the dry spice mixture over the popcorn and stir to coat evenly.1 teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar, 2 Tablespoons wing sauce, 2 Tablespoons butter
- Duck fat popcorn is best eaten right away.