This BBQ jackfruit topped southwest salad is the BEST jackfruit salad recipe we have tried. Tangy BBQ sauce, shredded jackfruit, and the most flavorful homemade avocado ranch recipe.
This plant-based jackfruit salad recipe is everything a vegan meal should be. Loaded with a rainbow of veggies, filling, and bursting with flavors.
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Jackfruit is a fruit from Southeast Asia that has become a versatile plant-based meat substitute. Often likened to pulled pork jackfruit can be used on salads, in tacos, or on sandwiches.
If you haven't tried jackfruit now is your chance! It can now be found in most grocery stores, either canned or frozen.
This might seem like a long list of ingredients, but that is just how salads are. Well at least the good ones. Lots of veggies and our homemade avocado ranch dressing has 100% pantry staples (minus the avocado, of course).
- Jackfruit- My go-to source for jackfruit is Trader Joes. Their canned jackfruit is easy to work with. But you can use any brand, brined or not. Canned or frozen. Jackfruit is great to work with because it is so forgiving.
- BBQ Sauce-You can do homemade or store-bought. I like Tessemaes and Stubbs, both are gluten-free and Tessemaes is refined sugar free.
This is our favorite combo of veggies but play around and use what you have on hand.
- Romaine lettuce
- Purple Cabbage
- Red Bell Pepper
- Canned Black Beans
Avocado Ranch Dressing
No salad is complete without a killer dressing. Ours is easy to make. And if you want to try something different check out our avocado-lime dressing.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- You can substitute other vinegar like champagne or red wine vinegar.
- Dried Herbs- Parsley, chives, and dill are the herbs of choice. You can also make this with fresh herbs if you like.
- Seasonings- The classic combo of garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- Plant-Based Milk- Almond was my milk of choice for this salad dressing. However, other vegan plant-based milk will work. Make sure it is plain and unsweetened.
The entire salad and dressing can be made while the jackfruit is baking so we start on the jackfruit first.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine the jackfruit and BBQ sauce directly in the baking dish. Cover with a lid, or aluminum foil. The jackfruit needs to bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the jackfruit pulls apart easily.
Allow the jackfruit to cool slightly then shred with two forks. Just like pulled pork.
While the jackfruit is baking, we are going to get this vegan avocado ranch dressing going. All the ingredients, minus the milk, go in a blender. Give it a whirl to break up the avocado and distribute the herbs.
With the blender on high, slowly drizzle in the milk until you get the consistency you prefer.
Salad assembly can be done on a big platter or individual plates. Layout the veggies artfully or just toss them all together. Your call.
Top the salads with the BBQ jackfruit and drizzle with the avocado ranch dressing. Bon appetit!
🥘Tips and Tricks
- The BBQ jackfruit can be eaten warm or cold, making this recipe perfect for meal prep lunches.
- Dining solo? Use the leftover jackfruit for a vegan BBQ pulled pork sandwich. We recommend topping with our spicy slaw.
- If your jackfruit doesn't cook in the 15 minutes, add a bit of water to prevent the sauce from drying out.
We hoped you enjoyed this salad recipe. Here are a few more of our favorite salads, and all are either naturally vegan or have an easy vegan option. Save one or all of them for later.
Sign up for our Weekly Newsletter to have great recipes delivered to your inbox!
Jackfruit Southwest Salad
- jackfruit canned or frozen
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 small heads romaine lettuce (or 1 large) chopped
- 1½ cup purple cabbage shredded
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 15 oz black beans drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup scallion
- 1½ cups corn fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1 cup tomato chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small baking dish combine jackfruit and BBQ. Cover and bake for 15 minutes, or until the jackfruit pulls apart easily.
- Allow the jackfruit to cool slightly then shred with two forks.
Avocado Ranch Dressing (Dairy-Free)
- While the jackfruit is baking, add the avocado, spices, and vinegar to a blender. Blend for 30 seconds.
- Slowly drizzle in the milk, pausing to scrape down the sides if needed. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the lettuce onto 4 plates, top with the remaining vegetables and beans.
- Top the salads with the BBQ jackfruit and drizzle with the avocado ranch dressing.
- Add more almond milk or water if you prefer a thinner dressing.
- Jackfruit salads are great for meal prep. Assemble the salads up to 4 days in advance. Keep the dressing in a separate container until you are ready to serve.