This creamy, crave-worthy taco dip layers beef, beans, cheese, and all your favorite taco flavors for a crowd-pleasing game day appetizer or potluck recipe. With just 10 minutes of prep time, this easy taco dip with ground beef comes together in under 30 minutes for a warm and gooey bottom layer topped with fresh, cool fixings.
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
📖Why This Recipe Works
If you love a 7-layer taco dip then you are in luck. This unique version is like the McDLT of taco dip recipes. The bottom layer is made with ground beef and cheese which is melted to perfection.
After several experiments, I came up with the process to push the seasoned ground beef into the cream cheese rather than seasoning the cream cheese (plain beef- yuck) or mixing together (no layers).
Then the ooey gooey cheese layer is topped with all your favorite cool taco toppings like crisp romaine lettuce, diced tomatoes, and spicy jalapeno peppers.
Ground Beef- I prefer to use lean ground beef or ground turkey in this recipe.
Taco Seasoning Mix- In my Velveeta Beefy Cheese Dip I use homemade seasoning but here you need a full packet so it is easier to use storebought. Plus you want the extra salt to season the beef. You can use a mild or spicy seasoning.
Cream Cheese- Use regular or low-fat cream cheese, but not fat-free.
Shredded Cheese- Use any shredded cheese you like. I typically stick with a Mexican cheese blend, Monterey jack, or sharp cheddar cheese but pepperjack cheese is a fun choice.
Don't want to make a full recipe? Use leftover taco meat from your taco Tuesday dinner.
💭 Taco Dip Topping Ideas
I like to keep it simple but the sky is the limit when it comes to toppings:
- Black olives
- Onion (red onions, green onions, or pickled onions)
- Green Chiles
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Black beans or refried beans
⏲️ How to Make Beef Taco Dip
In a large skillet, you want to brown the ground beef (i.e. cook until no longer pink). Use a fork to crumble the beef as it cooks.
Draining out any excess grease or oil, add the taco seasoning mix and stir to coat. You can add a tablespoon of water if desired.
Spread the softened cream cheese into the bottom of the baking dish.
Top with the taco meat. Then press into the cream cheese. You want the beef and cream cheese to begin to melt together.
Sprinkle the cheese over the cream cheese mixture and bake until bubbly. I find 15 minutes to be enough.
Add your favorite toppings in layers and serve with corn chips.
Divide the mixture between two smaller baking dishes. Swap out during your party to ensure the bottom layer stays nice and warm.
Can I make this recipe in advance?
Yes, you can cook the meat and layer the cheeses in a baking dish. Cover and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. Set at room temperature for 30 minutes before proceeding with the baking portion of this recipe.
More Easy Appetizer Recipes
This dip is best served immediately while the layers are still warm and cold. Leftovers will last 3-4 days refrigerated when stored in an airtight container.
I like to use leftovers to make a taco salad. Or spread it on crispy homemade tostadas or wrap up in warm soft tortillas for a quick snack.
Did You Enjoy Making This Recipe? Please rate this recipe with ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ or leave a comment. It helps other wonderful people connect with my food.
📖 Printable Recipe Card
Layered Taco Dip with Ground Beef
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally. Drain excess fat. Add taco seasoning and stir to coat the cooked beef. Remove from heat.1 Tablespoon olive oil, 1 pound ground beef, 1 packet taco seasoning
- Spread creamy cheese into the bottom of 8x8 baking dish. Top with seasoned ground beef mixture, and stir together (really just push the beef itno the cream cheese to combine slightly). Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top. Bake 15-20 minutes until hot and bubbly.8 ounces cream cheese, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Allow to cool 5 minutes. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and cilantro. Serve warm with tortilla chips for scooping.1 cup shredded lettuce, ½ cup tomatoes, ¼ cup red onion, ¼ cup cilantro, tortilla chips
- Customize the toppings, add jalapenos, black olives, sour cream, salsa, or bell peppers.
- Baking dish