Moscow Mule cocktail recipes normally call for vodka but we jazzed this one up with a smoky Mezcal. This Mezcal Mule recipe is easy to make with your favorite ginger beer and fresh squeezed lime juice.
But don't stop there we have included fun and fruity variations to make this mezcal mule your own. We hope you enjoy this Mezcal cocktail as much as our Mezcal Paloma, which has become the most popular cocktail recipe on our entire site!
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
🧾 Mule Ingredients & Substitutions
Sometimes called an Oaxacan Mule, Mezcal Mules are one of the easiest cocktail recipes to master.
- Mezcal- I used Mezcal Vargo for this Mule recipe. You can substitute tequila to make a Mexican Mule (or Tijuana Mule depending on who you ask).
- Ginger Beer- I have two favorite brands, Q Mixers and Fever Tree. Some ginger beer contains alcohol so double check your label so you don't over imbibe.
- Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice- Fresh squeezed will give you the zip needed for your Mule. If I am making a big batch (think pitcher size) I substitute in bottled key lime juice.
- Honey Simple Syrup- (optional) Not part of the recipe but wanted to point out that if your ginger beer is a little sharp for your tastes you can add a little simple syrup to sweeten it up. One part honey and one part water warmed together until the honey dissolves.
- Garnishes- I like to garnish with an extra slice of lime and a little mint.
- Copper Mugs- Not required, but fun. You can go classic with a handle or modern tumbler.
🍺Can You Make a Mule with Ginger Ale?
Ginger ale isn't recommended for a classic Mule cocktail. Ginger Ale will be significantly sweeter and more bubbly. But in a pinch it will do.
🍸How To Make a Mule
Mezcal Mules are an ideal drink to make at home because no special equipment required. You can make the mule directly in the mug, glass, or tumbler of your choice.
Fill a glass with ice. Crushed ice feels more professional but certainly not required.
Add mezcal and then lime juice. Give it a stir. If you are using a copper the mug the outside will frost up when it is shilled thoroughly.
Fill to the top with your preferred ginger beer. Give your Mezcal Mule a pretty garnish and serve!
🍹Mezcal Mule Variations
One of the great things about any Mule cocktail is the ability to change it up and a Mezcal Mule is really no different. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Kickin' Mule- Mix together a bit of chili powder and cayenne pepper. Add a shake of the mix and garnish with cucumber.
- Tropical Mule- Passionfruit pairs well with the ginger and lime juice. Cut the ginger beer by ⅓ and add in the tropical juice of your choice
- Autumn Mule- Substitute fresh apple cider for the ginger beer and garnish with a little shake of pumpkin pie spice.
- Holiday Mule- Cut the ginger beer in half and substitute in pomagrante juice and substitute orange juice for the lime.
Need more options? Check out more of our favorite cocktail recipes.
🥂More Cocktail Recipes
- Copper Mugs
- 2 oz mezcal
- 1 oz lime juice
- 4 oz ginger beer
- Lime wheels and fresh mint, to garnish
- Fill a copper Mule mug with ice. Add the mezcal and lime juice. Stir together until frost forms on the outside of the mug.
- Pour over ginger beer and garnish with lime and mint.
- Ginger beer is typically less sweet and more effervescent than ginger ale. To sweeten the cocktail add up to 1 oz of simple syrup.