It is time to elevate the classic rum sour cocktail. This recipe perfectly balances the sweet and sour for a refreshing cocktail that is full of complexity.
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Please read the entire post for tips and tricks to ensure a perfect recipe every time. And don't forget to tag @peelwithzeal on Instagram so we can admire your creation!
What makes this cocktail recipe special is that I use brown sugar syrup as my sweetener of choice instead of a land simple syrup. If you like a whiskey sour you will love this recipe.
You obviously need rum for this rum sour cocktail recipe. And while you can use white rum, I prefer to use spiced rum in the colder months and dark rum in the summer months.
Dark Rum vs. Spiced Rum
Spiced rum generally possesses a luxurious amber hue, although it is not necessarily classified as a dark rum.
In contrast to both light and dark rums, spiced rums are infused with extra ingredients like caramel essence and an array of spices that bestow it with its distinctive name, including cinnamon, allspice, and star anise.
Dark rum is an aged rum that gets its color, and extra flavor, from oak barrels.
For this cocktail recipe, you will also need:
Simple Syrup- This recipe makes a simple syrup from brown sugar and water. You can also use the demerara simple syrup in this recipe.
Lemon Juice- You can fresh lemon juice or bottled lemon juice in this recipe. I don't recommend substituting lime juice with dark rum. I find the flavor too bitter.
Garnish- This recipe uses the same as the original sour cocktails; an orange slice and a maraschino cherry.
⏲️How to Make a Rum Sour Cocktail
The ingredients for this drink make one cocktail, you can increase to make as many cocktails as needed.
Mix together the brown sugar and water over low heat. Cool slightly before using.
Measure out the syrup, rum, and lemon juice into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake for a minimum of 30 seconds.
🍸 Rum Sour with Egg White
This drink can be made with egg whites. I love the frothy texture but I am not a fan of measuring the egg whites out.
Mix the rum, lemon juice, simple syrup, and ½ ounce of raw egg white in a shaker without ice and shake vigorously for half a minute. This is called a dry shake.
Next, add ice and shake once more for about 15-20 seconds until the mixture is thoroughly chilled.
Raw egg warning: Consuming raw eggs poses a rock of food-borne illness. Be sure to use a pasteurized egg.
👩🏻🍳 Expert Tips
- To quickly chill your glass fill with ice and cold water while you make your cocktail. It will be perfectly chilled by the time you finish making your drink.
- The drink is cold enough when the outside of the cocktail shaker frosts over.
- Try adding a couple of drops of Angostura bitters for more flavor.
More Cocktail Recipes
Did You Enjoy Making This Recipe? Please rate this recipe with ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ or leave a comment. It helps other wonderful people connect with our food.
Spiced Rum Sour
- 1 ½ ounces dark or spiced rum
- 1 ounce brown sugar syrup
- ¾ ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 orange slice
- 1 maraschino cherry
Brown Sugar Simple Syrup (Make ⅔ cup)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- Pour the rum, simple syrup, and lemon juice into a cocktail shaker with ice.1 ½ ounces dark or spiced rum, 1 ounce brown sugar syrup, ¾ ounce fresh lemon juice
- Shake and strain into a glass filled with ice. Garnish with an orange slice and a cherry.1 orange slice, 1 maraschino cherry
Brown Sugar Simple Syrup
- In a small saucepan, combine water, sugar, and salt. Place the saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar has completely dissolved. Cool to room temperature before using.½ cup brown sugar, ½ cup water
- Store extra syrup in an airtight container int he fridge for up to 4 weeks.