I love jellies and jams but apple butter has always been my favorite texture. Out of these loves and my desire for a sugar free option came this super easy four ingredient strawberry butter fruit spread.
Totally sugar free and easily adapted to any mixed berry combination your heart desires! My favorites are 100% strawberry and a 50/50 strawberry raspberry mix. Delicious!
How to Make Strawberry Butter Fruit Spread
We start with combing all the ingredients in a heavy sauce pan. I love the balsamic vinegar in this but if that isn’t a flavor you love try lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. I think all fruit spreads need a tad bit of acid to bring out the brightness in the berries.
Use organic whole dates, be sure they are unsweetened. Heat the fruit mixture until the dates are softened.
PRO TIP: Don’t worry about the foam that collects on top. Unlike jams, you do not need to skim it off.
Then you hit this strawberry butter with an immersion blender. Continue to cook down until you get your ideal thick and buttery spread.
Strawberry Butter Fruit Spread
- 2 c strawberries sub any combo of mixed berries
- 1 c whole dates unsweetened
- 1 c water
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes or until the dates are softened.
- Remove pan from the heat and use an immersion blender to puree the mixture. Alternatively you can use a blender, be careful with the hot liquid!
- Return the pan to low heat and cook the mixture until thickened. Depending on berries, 20-45 minutes.