Learn how to make cashew butter at home with just 1 ingredient! This cashew butter recipe produces a smooth nut butter without the use of chemicals or refined sugars. My easy-to-follow step-by-step instructions will ensure a perfectly smooth nut butter.
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
When possible I prefer to make things from scratch. But also, I am not a fan of long drawn out recipes, unless it is a special occasion or big holiday. To me, it just makes sense to make cashew nut butter at home.
📖Why This Recipe Works
I think it is fairly obvious to say because it's so easy! But in reality, it is.
- You don't have to soak the cashews so it is ready in under 30 minutes
- One ingredient recipe
- Naturally gluten-free, vegan, and dairy-free
- Great if you have a peanut allergy
- Make as little or as much as you want
Raw Cashews- Duh! You need whole cashews or cashew pieces. Make sure they are unsalted cashews!
Can I use roasted cashews instead of raw cashews?
Yes, skip the roasting process but you will need to add oil to get a smooth consistency.
Oil Options- You can use any neutral flavor oil you like including coconut oil (melted), avocado oil, or olive oil.
💭 Cashew Butter Flavor Variations
You can also create sweet or savory variations of your cashew butter. Here are some of our favorite variations, but feel free to create your own!
Sweet Cashew Butter Ideas
- maple syrup or honey
- pumpkin pie spice
- vanilla extract
- cocoa powder
Savory Cashew Butter Ideas
- thyme and pink peppercorns
- chipotle powder
- sea salt
This is a recipe where the equipment you use does matter. You need a food processor or high-speed blender like a Vitamix. While I own both my personal preference is to use the food processor because the wide-shaped bowl makes scraping down the sides easier.
⏲️How to Make Homemade Cashew Butter
This recipe is a simple two-step process. The biggest challenge is home cooks often give up before they get to the creamy stage.
Step 1 - Roast the Raw Cashews
Roast the cashews to warm the oils. They should be slightly golden brown.
Be sure to cool the cashews for a few minutes before adding them to the food processor.
Step 2 - Blend the Raw Cashews
Blend on low for 5-8 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed.
The cashews will go through several phases, but keep the faith- they will eventually get buttery and smooth.
If your food processor starts to overheat, stop and let it rest for 10 minutes before continuing. Overheating can affect the motor. You can also try processing in shorter intervals with breaks in between.
You can add oil and salt in the last few minutes of processing if desired.
⏲️How to Make Smoked Cashew Butter
A smoky spin on your favorite cashew butter – without the use of chemicals, liquid smoke, or added sugar.
Unlike with my regular cashew butter, you will need to start with raw cashews that have been soaked for at least one hour. Drain them and lay them out on a towel. While they don't need to dry completely, you don't want to see big water drops.
There are three ways to roast nuts in a smoker. If you have a metal basket with a fine mesh, that’s great – you’re all set. But there are two other options that don’t require buying special equipment.
You can either line a wire basket with foil poked with holes or simply hook a ham netting onto a smoking basket. I use the second option simply placing foil inside a larger basket.
Smoking times vary based on your preference and the type of wood (we used applewood). We typically smoke cashews for 35 to 40 minutes. I prefer a lighter smoked taste, you can go up to 60 minutes.
Once smoked, allow to cool for 10 minutes and proceed with the recipe.
Smoked cashews will produce a thicker butter than the typical cashew butter. You can add any neutral oil to thin out the consistency.
If your cashew butter turns out too smoky you can additional raw cashews (not soaked) to reduce the impact of the smoke flavor.
🥗How to Use Homemade Cashew Butter
This creamy cashew butter is the perfect substitute for peanut butter in all your favorite recipes from vegan buckeyes to peanut sauce. But my favorite is a sandwich with our sugar-free strawberry fruit spread.
- As a spread on toast, pancakes, or homemade waffles.
- Swirled into overnight oats or oatmeal.
- In smoothies for a protein and flavor boost.
- As a dip for fresh fruit, like apple slices or banana chunks.
You can even get crazy and use it on a fancy burger. Crazy I know!
👩🏻🍳 Expert Tips
- Be sure to flip the cashews during roasting to prevent burning or hot spots.
- Roasting cashews enhances their flavor; just be cautious not to over-toast them.
- Add extra oil only if needed.
More Homemade Recipes
To keep your cashew butter fresh, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It can last for 2 to 3 weeks.
💭 Frequently Asked Questions
To make chunky cashew butter process as normal to get the cashew butter smooth and creamy. Then stir in a ½ cup of chopped cashews to make it chunky.
Absolutely! Making your own allows you to control the ingredients and quality. Store-bought often has added oils, sugar, or preservatives. Homemade tastes fresher and lets you customize flavors.
Whether or not it is more affordable depends don't eh brand, organic vs. non, etc. But for me, I like to make my own cashew butter so I can make just the amount I need for a recipe or to eat that week.
For longer storage, nut butter can be frozen for up to 6 months. Allow frozen cashew butter to thaw in the refrigerator before using.
Did You Enjoy Making This Recipe? Please rate this recipe with ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ or leave a comment. It helps other wonderful people connect with my food.
📖 Printable Recipe Card
Easy Homemade Cashew Butter
- Preheat your oven to 325ºF (163ºC) and line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper (optional). Spread the cashews out in a single layer.2 cups raw, unsalted cashews
- Roast the cashews for 10 to 15 minutes, turning them over halfway through. The cashews are ready when they are slightly golden brown and smell nutty. Remove the cashews from the oven and allow them to cool for 10 minutes or so.
- Transfer the warm, not hot, cashews to a large food processor. Process on high for 10 to 15 minutes scraping down the bowl every couple of minutes. The exact time will depend on the power of your food processor.
- The cashew butter is ready when it is smooth. If you want smoother butter after 15 minutes, you can add coconut oil. With the food processor motor running, add the melted coconut oil and continue processing the cashew butter for an additional 5 minutes, or until it reaches your desired consistency.¼ teaspoon kosher salt, 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- This recipe can be made with 2 to 5 cups of raw cashews.
- You can use this base recipe to make any nut butter including almond butter and pecan butter. Or use a mix of nuts for a unique flavor.
- I recommend lining the baking sheet so no oils from the pan get onto the cashews when roasting
- Transfer the freshly made cashew butter into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and store it in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks.
- This recipe was originally for smoked cashew butter. See the post for detailed instructions for that recipe variation.