Greetings! And welcome to one of our new no-cook sauces– Pineapple cucumber and mint relish (or salsa depending on your definition).
The Peel household is obsessing over sauces. We eat so many great whole foods, but we just need a punch of flavor sometimes. Or all the time.
Our cucumbers were in overdrive one summer and I could only stomach so many more pickles. I tried a bunch of different salsa and relish recipes and this became a favorite.
What is the difference between salsa, relish and chutney?
Salsa’s typically feature a spicy element and is typically tomato and chili based. Relishes contain cucumbers and are often pickled. Chutneys are primary fruit based and cooked with spices.
So…. Is this a relish or a salsa? While I make it both ways, I typically leave out any heat, like a jalapeno, because I find it over powers the refreshing cucumber and mint.
Serving Pineapple, Cucumber and Mint Relish
So many possibilities…. Here are few of our favorites ways to serve pineapple cucumber and mint relish/ salsa!
- With chips (yep like salsa)
- In place of a dressing on a big grilled chicken and spinach salad
- Over roasted fish (we pick our easy brine salmon or tuna for this recipe)
- Blackened shrimp tacos filling
- Inside spring rolls- trust me, yum!
- As a side salad, all by its lonesome
Have we convinced you? Pin this now!
How to Make Pineapple, Cucumber and Mint Relish
This is one of those basic no cook sauces that just requires you to chop up the veggies and toss together.
I typically use a cored and peeled pineapple from the fresh produce section. For the cucumber, I use our back yard variety if I have them on hand. Otherwise, a seedless English cucumber is perfect for this dish.
Pro Tip: Wait to salt the relish until right before serving to avoid discolored mushy cucumbers.
No cook cucumber and pineapple relish is a light topping perfect for grilled chicken, fish or steamed vegetables.
- 1 1/2 c fresh pineapple, diced
- 1 c cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1/2 c red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt, to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Gently toss to combine. Salt to taste.
- AIP Compliant as written
- Diced jalapeno can be added for an extra kick (not AIP compliant)